cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

SIM not supported

Lees53
Explorer

I was using an iPhone XS that was unlocked and bought outright on an EE SIM card for 2 years. I upgraded from SIM only to an iPhone 13 and ordered an additional SIM. I transferred to the iPhone 13 and then reset my XS. But now, whatever SIM card I put in, it says “SIM not supported”. (I tried EE and O2). EE said they can’t help and apple have assured me the device is unlocked. HELP

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lees53  If the device was purchased outright where was this purchased from you don’t say.   If the device was sold as an unlocked device no network can lock the device as the network lock is controlled by Apple.    

To confirm the status of the network lock of the device go to settings/general/about/scroll down to Network Provider Lock.  If it says no Sim restrictions the device is unlocked.    And if that’s the case are you sure you put in the Sim card in the right way round ?  

Hi.  The device was bought overseas (Bahrain).  I can’t get into any settings as I start the phone and try and set up manually and it says sim not supported and I’m stuck.  If I remove the sim it says “please insert sim”. So I’m stuck in a cycle.    I called apple and they confirmed the device is unlocked.  So I’m really confused!! 

Techhead
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

As it was bought in Bahrain, the phone may be region locked. I guess you might have connected the phone to a computer to do a backup (or restored a backup in a new phone from iCloud?) If so you’ll have triggered the Next tether activation policy. Which means you’ll need to find out which region the phone was intended for and insert a SIM from that region, use it for a while and then you’ll be able to insert a UK SIM.