cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Note 9 - This device can't be unlocked message

PhilAdams1972
Visitor

Coming to the end of a 2 year contract. Have given notice and was advised to unlock the handset online. Shock horror, doesn't work. Typical EE. So glad I'm leaving. Been a nightmare since day 1. Without a doubt, the worst phone provider in the UK.

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@PhilAdams1972   Where did you get the device from ? 

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Where did you yourself get this device itself originally? Did you buy it yourself new direct from EE or from a 3rd-party reseller or is it 2nd-hand? The unlocking process & costs are different.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
mavericke
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Dear @PhilAdams1972,

I feel so sad for you. EE should have offered an opportunity to unlock for you if it is your handset that have been acquired directly from EE yourself. If I am not mistaken, they will unlock your mobile phone after the first six months but you would have to pay a small fee for the unlocking service.  

Honestly, I am shocked that EE would continue to lock their mobile phones. Fear not, as Ofcom has ruled that all mobile providers in the country will have to sell unlocked mobile phones to customers after 31 December 2021 (Please click here for more information). I guess that EE still have 7 months to go before selling unlocked phones and they are trying hard to assert absolute control over their mobile phones.

I wish you luck with customer service. 

Best wishes.