cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

NAT - Strict - Xbox Headset

Smack
Visitor

I have a 5G Gigacube, fast download but appalling upload speed anyway… 

I have an Xbox which works fine apart from the MIC / headset I can’t join any game chat parties. I noticed the NAT is set to strict, how can I change this on the router? It does not allow me to change the NAT type from what I can see!! You can’t raid without being able to talk to each other!! 

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You may be finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

If this occurs there is nowt you can do to avoid it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Smack ,

I read reports that using a VPN can help with both the issues mentioned.

To use the VPN strategy, you will need to use a VPN which provides you with an IPv4 endpoint (most likely a dynamic IP address which will be yours for a time but comes from a pool shared by other users) and this would make your Xbox routable on the internet.

More strangely, I read on here that usage of a VPN can improve some transfer speeds (actually I think it was downloads) and it's currently a mystery why this should be true as the data must traverse the same service provider's infrastructure so it's unclear why a VPN would remove any bottleneck. Good luck! 🤓

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net