cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Is flagrant lying normalised at ee?

Hsullivan
Visitor

Really shocked by this, as a long-term generally happy customer of ee.

My current iPhone (X) is smashed and so this week I wanted to get a new phone urgently. My 2 year contract had finished. I could see online that ee didn’t have any 12 Pros in stock and so I called up to get the PAC code. I live right by an Apple Store and could see phones available for same day collection, so I wanted to get a SIM-only contact with Vodafone. This also worked out £350 cheaper over 24 months than EE’s best ‘upgrade’ offer. On calling up (and waiting for 20 mins) I had a long conversation with an apparently nice and helpful rep called Curtis. He knocked a bit off the price but, crucially, said that there were a small number of phones in stock and that he could get one for a next-day delivery. There was a lot of faffing around paying for the next-day delivery, discussion of what time it would arrive etc; then I agreed to the contract. He told me to expect a text message the next morning confirming the slot.

but... nothing. I called EE and was told I was in a queue for an unspecified time before one was available. ?? 

As I need a phone now, I asked to cancel the contact, which was made under — it seems — entirely false pretences. I was told that I would receive a call back to explain what had happened the same day. Nothing. Have tried to call back but can’t get through to anyone. So I don’t have a functional phone and spent an hour on a conversation premised on something that the sales rep must have known was a blatant falsehood.

Was he assuming I wouldn’t notice if I didn’t get a phone after all?

Why is it impossible to sort this out?

How can tricking customers into thinking they can buy unavailable phones be a good business model?

3 REPLIES 3
Alex_S
EE Employee

Hi @Hsullivan,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I'm sorry that your phone isn't going to arrive in the timescale you were given and you have been given different information on your phone calls to EE.

I have sent you a private message to get some further information from you regarding this.

Alex 🙂

AdamWC
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yep, same here. I was one of the many that have been duped into upgrading my contract on the pretence that my new phone would be despatched in less than a day, but no. Even the tracking doesn't give any clues, just tells me to go away and wait for further notification.

Like you say, fragrant lying. Will definitely be looking into cancelling asap.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @AdamWC

Thanks for coming to the community. 

What phone did you order?

Please can you also provide me with the colour and memory size?

What date did you order?

Katie.