cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

EE sim seems to enable the GPS whenever i receive a SMS or reboot the phone

RajSingh2
Explorer

hi,

I have a sim card (which utilises the EE network) in my android phone.

However, whenever i reboot the phone or receive an SMS, it automatically shows the Location/GPS symbol in the top status bar.

This is despite the actual Location setting being set to off.

This does not happen if i put in a sim card from the Three network.

How is this possible and how do i stop if from occurring (as it's just draining my battery)?

Note that i have been through the app settings and none have Location enabled.

many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@RajSingh2  Receiving an SMS has nothing to do with GPS.   Location services or network services are totally different. 

It would  help to say what phone it is as Android is a operating system not a phone. 

hi chris,

thanks for the reply.

yes, i agree that receiving an sms has nothing to do with gps, 

i am confused as to why the location symbol always seems to be displayed in the status bar whenever i get an sms - it can't just be coincidence.

the fone is a LG K10 (2017) running android 7.0.

i'm in a position now where the location symbol is constantly being displayed and has been for the last 3 days (and yes, location setting is "off").

i have tried rebooting but that hasn't helped.

(prior to this, the symbol would disappear, say after an hour or so of me not using the fone - i.e. just leave it sitting there.

i  think it helped if i switched off the wifi but can't be sure.)

this is just draining my battery - really annoying!

thanks again.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RajSingh2

I'm not sure why it keeps coming up, but if you want to turn off location service you should be able to by following these instructions:

Drag down the notification bar

Tap the Settings icon at the top-right.
Tap General > Location. 

Turn Location OFF

Let me know if that works.

Chris

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Could still be an App doing a Location Request even though you've checked all the Permissions, but it's more likely to be Google either with Google Messaging, Google Sync (via your Google Account Settings) or a Google Browser, like Chrome or Google Assistant (right swipe from home screen).

If it was me I would start by clearing all your Cache then a Reboot, and possibly install an App Killer like KillApps, and see if it still persist, remember some Apps will auto start up again though but it should give you an idea and confirm whether it's an App or not.

If it is Google somehow, you may struggle to find the reason if I'm honest your just have to go through all your Settings and see what's set or what you've agreed to in the past.

GPS doesn't really draw much from your Battery, or a least it shouldn't, but if it really is an issue, might be time to think about doing a Back Up then a Factory Reset as a last resort.