cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

EE Smart Hub, Google WiFi and port forwarding

huntajc
Investigator
Investigator

I have an EE Smart Hub plugged into a Google Wifi router with a couple of additional Google Wifi points on the mesh. I've got the EE Smart Hub Wifi disabled. This all works fine.

I'm now trying to open up a port to allow me to access Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi away from the house.

I've created the port forwarding rules in the config for the Google Wifi, but it still can't find my Home Assistant server (refusing to connect).

Do I also need to set up forwarding in the EE Smart Hub config? If so, I can't think what that should look like.

Has anyone come across this scenario or one like it already please? Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Is this Raspberry Pi a device somewhere on your combined LAN of EE SH + Google WiFi? You only need to port forward servers running on your own LAN so others can remotely access them unsolicited. Sounds like you are trying to access from your own LAN a remote device on the Net.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @huntajc ,

If you've daisy-chained two routers with double-NAT, and connected your pi to the downstream router, you will need to configure static addresses for both the pi and the downstream router and port-forwarding in both routers.

If you are not using double-NAT but instead only have single NAT at the upstream router, you would then only require port-forwarding in the upstream router.

(Obviously you need an upstream router WAN with publicly routable IP address which can accept unsolicited traffic from the internet.)

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net