cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

EE SIM unlock code received, does not work.

Mckinstry26
Investigator
Investigator

I have a Sony Xperia X and requested a SIM unlock code as I switched provider. 

The code arrived by email easily enough. But it does not work!

I followed all the steps given, and with the aid of the chat support, they got me to enter the first 8 digits only, then the last 8 digits only. This did not work either and just used up all my attempts. I now have 1 attempt left.

The new sim works fine in another unlocked phone. So that is not the issue. The unlock code just does not work in my phone. 

The code was confirmed that it is correct for my IMEI number.

What happens after my last attempt to unlock the phone? I've owned the phone for years now out of contract, totally ridiculous that I can't use it. 

2 REPLIES 2
Mckinstry26
Investigator
Investigator

Update: Finally got through to someone (other than the unhelpful handset.unlocking.team@ee.co.uk email). Ben helpfully looked at my issue and now suspects that the unlock code is incorrect from Sony. They have sent a form off and advised up to 10 days wait to hear back. 

Again, I've owned this phone for at least over four years, how is this in any way acceptable in this day and age to lock me out of my own property? Baffles me. I will be looking some form of compensation from EE and giving a complaint about how mobile companies operate to the relevant governing body, it is a huge amount of hassle. 

Mckinstry26
Investigator
Investigator

Update: waiting on the unlock code being checked and confirmed by Sony. It has now passed the advised max 10 day wait for a response from Sony and nothing back as yet. I've chased up the EE unlock team by email. 

I have also emailed a complaint through to EE a few days ago and got an automatic response. I shall phone the complaints line as well. 

Again, tantamount to theft. How this was ever legal to lock phones to one mobile provider I'll never know. If the complaints department are not forthcoming my next step will be to the Ombudsman.