cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Can't connect to 4GEE Admin Interface

TG4
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

It seems it's not possible to connect to the admin interface on my 4G EE router if you have manually set your DNS server. 

The admin interface is reached via 192.168.1.1 - this automatically redirects to http://4gee.wifi/ . That domain doesn't exist on other dns servers. 

I can't edit the hosts file, I can't change my dns server - and wouldn't really want to anyway. 

Can I switch off this redirect ? 

(I'm sure there's a very good reason to redirect an ip to a domain in this way. Haven't got a clue what it is though. 😀)

8 REPLIES 8
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TG4,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Sorry, I'm not aware of another way to access admin interface if the DNS has been changed.

Thanks

James

Thank you James, I thought not. But saves me digging further.

I've seen a few posts where people have reported this issue of not reaching the interface. DNS settings may explain this. So at least that's something 🙂

James_B
EE Community Support Team

No problem @TG4

James

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It shouldn't do. Where have you changed the DNS? On your PC or in the router? What happens when you click on http://192.168.1.1 ? Pure IPs don't need to look up a DNS.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

The dns settings are changed on the PC. 

I access the admin UI by typing 192.168.1.1. The router itself carries out a 302 redirect sending traffic to the domain name - which isn't supported by my dns server. 
It's not possible to remove this redirect. 

Why a redirect is needed at this stage is anyone's guess. 

The DNS setting on your PC can have no bearing on this issue. The router is not consulting the DNS on your PC but either the DNS set in itself or the EE DNS. 

Try changing the DNS settings of the router.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

That's incorrect. The whole purpose of setting the domain name server address on the client is that router is no longer involved in resolving domain names. 

Even if I could change the dns settings on the router (which is difficult because I can't access the interface) they would be ignored because the client is configured to not use the router's settings for domain name resolution.

@TG4 wrote:

The whole purpose of setting the domain name server address on the client is that router is no longer involved in resolving domain names. 

That's exactly correct! The whole point of setting the DNS on the client is to bypass the DNS set in the router.

My point is that typing a pure IP, 192.168.1.1, on the PC does not need to consult the DNS set on the PC cuz there's no domain in it to look up. So the pure IP 192.168.1.1 is passed unchanged to the router. So it must be the router that is replacing it to 4gee.wifi .

I think I have a similar situation to you but with a Brightbox router. I have no DNS set on the PC but the public OpenDNS set in the router. I can get to router's admin i/f with the pure IP 192.168.1.1 but I can also get to it equally well with the domain BrightBox.eeBrightBox.ee is not set in my hosts file nor will it be in OpenDNS. So it is our routers that are dreaming up 4gee.wifi and BrightBox.ee respectively.

What responses do you get from nslookup 192.168.1.1 & nslookup 4gee.wifi from your PC?