Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 12 black screen

Bosscat
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all,

My iPhone 12 has suddenly, unexpectedly and without any provocation whatsoever, gone dark on me.i put it on charge last Saturday night as I went to bed after using it without any problems whatsoever. However when I woke up the following morning I discovered nothing more than a black screen. Initially I though I'd failed to charge it properly but after trying the buttons I realised I could still take a screenshot, although of what I don't know thanks to the screen deciding to quit. 

Thr phone had not been dropped, bashed, insulted or abused in any way, it also had not been anywhere near water. It had however recently had an update.

Anyone else suffering the same issues?

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Bosscat

Sorry to hear about your phone. Have you tried force restarting it? I've known this to fix similar problems in the past, so hopefully it works.

Chris

Cheers, how do i force a restart? I've tried holding down the down the buttons all the ways I know but to no avail. The main problem is that despite what buttons I press, I still can't use the screen to shut it down. Does a forced restart require the screen?

@Bosscat   Watch this THIS clip on how to do this.   It has to be done right.  

You don’t need screen access to do this.  

Thanks, I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work, I'll get medieval on it and try a DUF reset. Anything to avoid the £280 charge ee quoted me to fix this phone that failed on me overnight!!
uzibash
Explorer

If your iPhone 12 screen is black and unresponsive, you can try the following steps to troubleshoot and potentially fix the issue:

1. Charge your iPhone: Connect your iPhone 12 to a power source using the original charger and cable. Let it charge for at least 15-30 minutes. If the battery is completely drained, it might take a bit of time for the device to respond.

2. Force Restart: Perform a force restart to try to wake up your iPhone. Here's how you can do it on the iPhone 12:

• Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
    • Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
    • Press and hold the Side (Power) button until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
  3. Check for Display Issues: Shine a flashlight onto the screen to see if you can discern any faint images. If you can see faint images, but the screen is not fully functional, it could indicate a backlight or display issue. In this case, you may need to contact Apple Support or visit an authorized service provider for further assistance.

4. Restore iPhone in Recovery Mode: If the screen remains black and unresponsive, you may need to restore your iPhone using recovery mode. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes (for macOS Catalina and later, use Finder).
    • Follow the force restart steps mentioned above to enter recovery mode.
    • When prompted with the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore. This will erase all data on your iPhone and reinstall iOS.
  5. Contact Apple Support or Visit an Apple Store: If none of the above steps work, there may be a hardware issue with your iPhone 12 that requires professional assistance. Contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further diagnosis and repair options.

Always ensure that your iPhone is backed up regularly to prevent data loss in case of unexpected issues or repairs.

MonicaGill
Investigator
Investigator

There are a couple of reasons why your iPhone might be on but have a black screen. Here are some steps you can try to fix it:-

Force Restart:-

1. The first step is to perform a force restart. This will reboot your iPhone and can often fix software glitches that might be causing the black screen. The method for force restarting depends on your iPhone model:

• iPhone 8 or later and iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Press and quickly release the volume up button, then the volume down button. Then, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo (around 10 seconds).
  • iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the side button and the volume down button at the same time. Hold them until you see the Apple logo.

Charge Your iPhone:-

2. If a force restart doesn't work, try charging your iPhone for at least an hour. A completely drained battery could be the culprit. Even if you see a low battery indicator before the screen goes black, sometimes charging for a while can kickstart it.
Check for Damage:-

3. If the above steps don't work, there might be physical damage to your iPhone screen or internal components. Inspect the screen for cracks or other signs of damage. If your phone has been dropped or exposed to water recently, that could be the cause of the issue.

More effective instruction below.

[mod edit: please do not post third-party links on the public board. Thanks!]