cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iCloud Private Relay - How it might impact your online experience

LAURA_MCW
Former EE Community Manager

iCloud Private Relay

iCloud Private Relay is a new service being offered as part of an iCloud+ subscription that will allow any customer with a device on iOS 15, iPadOS 15 or macOS Monterey to connect and browse the web more privately.

It works by ensuring traffic leaving your device is encrypted so that no one can intercept and read it, including mobile and wi-fi networks and Apple. 

iCloud Private Relay FAQ

How can I turn iCloud Private Relay on?

To use iCloud Private relay, you must be on iOS 15 or newer and have an iCloud+ subscription.

To turn it on you can either go to:

• Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Private Relay > On

OR

• Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > iCloud Private Relay  > On

There are also specific controls for Safari:

• Settings > Safari > Hide IP Address > Provides 3 options (trackers and websites, Trackers Only, Off)
  1. Trackers and Websites - full Private Relay functionality where all traffic makes it through Private Relay.
  2. Trackers Only - Only let the tracker traffic go through Private Relay, and all other Safari traffic will not go through Private Relay.
  3. Off - turn off any Private Relay proxying for Safari.

How can I turn iCloud Private Relay off?

To turn it off, you can either go to:

• Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Private Relay > Off

OR:

• Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > iCloud Private Relay > Off

To turn off specific controls for Safari, go to: 

• Settings > Safari > Hide IP Address > Off

Will I still be able to use Content Lock?

iCloud Private Relay will protect Safari traffic from being visible to anyone. This means we can't prevent access to Strict or Moderate content for customers with these settings on Content Lock. 

Will I still be able to use my EE Video / Music / Gaming pass?

Some or all of the data used whilst streaming content on devices using iOS 15 with iCloud Private Relay switched on will not be zero-rated as we cannot link your EE customer ID to all of your activity.

Will the iCloud Private Relay only impact me when I use 4G/5G?

No. This will work in the same way for Mobile Network and Wi-Fi connections. 

Will iCloud Private Relay prevent me from ordering an additional Data Pass?

No, you will still be able to purchase additional data as normal on My EE. However, if you are purchasing additional data from add-on.ee.co.uk you will need to turn off iCloud Private Relay  first and then reload the page. If you are completely out of your data allowance, you can continue to access add-on.ee.co.uk without switching off iCloud Private Relay.

20 REPLIES 20

@UKITCONSULTANT No, it's been there throughout all the iOS 15 betas. 

UKITCONSULTANT
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Umiamzi must have missed it. I have had the beta since it was given to developers and didn’t see it. 

apologies. I thought it wasn’t there when it was. 

※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※»※
Have I helped you? Click on the thumbs up to show your thanks!
T-mobile/EE Customer since 2006
UKITCONSULTANT
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Chris_B I would say it is like a VPN and in fact that is a part of how it runs if my tests are anything to go by. 

however there is also additional features attached to it. I believe that @Umiamz was being a little mean when he said at best. Almost all VPNs I am aware of that are not provided by workplaces or setup by individuals provide anonymous browsing and do not report to your ISP or log information at all. So it is considered anonymous to some degree. No system is perfect however but commercial VPN services seem to be reasonably good. 

i do think that Apple has taken it to the next step and that we will see other service providers, likely VPN providers offer similar services in the coming months.

the GPS on mobile devices is not something that Apple Private Relay does. Otherwise it would require more intensive settings than just switching it on and off for certain WiFi networks. 

the WiFi switch points to be being a more clever relay service (which is exactly what a VPN does), with some additional pieces of functionality over a commercial VPN service at present. 

@UKITCONSULTANT 

You appear to be confusing anonymity with privacy. VPNs were not designed for anonymity - there are too many weaknesses in the protocol and commercial providers' MO. There is no such thing as "anonymous to some degree" - you are either anonymous or not.

Take a look at Apple's implementation - https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10096

You'll see that there is very little in common with VPNs. However, I can see how to the average non-technical user they can appear to operate in a similar manner.

@UKITCONSULTANT  but it’s not your tests what you should be going by,    

thankfully @Umiamz posted a very useful link.  

UKITCONSULTANT
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Okay starting again as I got timed out by EE, somewhat annoyingly. 

Essentially, if you are technical enough to understand QUIC and it’s operating principles then what I have said will come as no surprise to you. The multiple external providers being used by Apple are VPN providers and this isn’t surprising given the claims they are making of relaying your traffic through two separate providers. 

i wonder if a VPN could be configured to use QUIC to relay traffic and provide some level of basic anonymity. You mean the way google does this already? Hrm; maybe it is; maybe it is indeed. 

the videos Apple puts out. Even the ones going to developers, which I count myself as a member of, are polished presentations which are designed to showcase the features in a way that sells you the feature in the way they want you to see it. 

my original comment was to give a similarity to a service regular users would be aware of and allow them to associate the features they would receive or expect. 

if you are technical enough to be worried about the level of anonymous access you have to a service, given that anytime you transmit data you give up any anonymity as the data contains information which with minimal work can be traced to most people. 

i could offer to write a white paper and publish it within the IET and BCS, as I have done for other providers using QUIC both internally and externally, but I suspect doing so would breach the Apple developer program terms. However if you are members of either organisation then please do come and find me at the next convention. I will be the fat guy in a wheelchair. 

I do not think for a second that a technical person would be using this anyway as QUIC is known to allow devices to be exposed to an increased risk if they are compromised due to the way firewalls currently work when processing different protocols. 

i believe QUIC is a step forward. I strongly believe that. But I do not think that most members of the public have the technical knowledge to understand it. 

I cannot point to whether or not any particular individual does. But I can say that retrieving information from the first page of google doesn’t generally cause me to be very impressed. Especially when it is a polished presentation from a service provider proven to say whatever they think the demographic of that presentation will believe. 

anyway. I hope you have a good day and aren’t stuck waiting for iPhone 13’s like the rest of us. Maybe you’ve not even ordered one. 

uvarvu
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Didn't know it could be turned off per wifi network, just found the option.   I'm pretty sure it wasn't always there but maybe I just missed it.

Chrisnix
Investigator
Investigator

If I turn off private relay in Mobile Data but leave it turned on in iCloud settings, does my music streaming get picked up when using music services on mobile data? 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

You'd have to have it switched off in both to ensure that the music data is zero rated, @Chrisnix.

Chris

Ionutdanielsaba
Visitor

Posibil paternal control