Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone disconnected

Cobfox
Investigator
Investigator
Read more
When I call a mobile it doesn’t connect, there’s 3 short beeps and cuts off. The person is not on WhatsApp anymore either. I’m not blocked and There is nothing wrong on my end. Does this mean the phone/ number has been disconnected?
5 REPLIES 5
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Cobfox.

Welcome to the community.

Is this just happening with one number or is it all numbers that you try to call?

Jon

It’s just that number. No messages are being delivered either. I was thinking maybe the phone was lost/stolen 

Hi @Cobfox ,

You could additionally borrow another phone or use a public pay phone to call that number.

Do you have another way to contact this person, perhaps via a mutual friend?

It's quite possible that the number is no longer active or no longer used by the person or entity who previously had it, and this could be temporary or permanent.

When was the last time this number was active, if ever? Could you have been given an invalid number? Perhaps with a single digit typo?

I believe what you've heard is a disconnection tone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disconnect_tone

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Thank you for replying.

Yes that’s the tone I’m getting but it’s definitely the right number. Its been a week or so, firstly it was a continuous engaged tone and then changed to the disconnected tone. I have tried from a landline also.

Hi @Cobfox ,

If you hear the same thing using a landline, there's almost certainly an issue on the other end.

The timescale seems too sort for it to be a Pay As You Go SIM deactivated due to inactivity.  https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

Typically a phone which is off would go to voicemail.

I can only speculate that the person may have been moving between mobile phone networks and there's been a hiccup in the transfer of the mobile phone, or the number has been accidentally cancelled.

Contacting via another method would seem the most sensible approach, unless this was your only method of contacting this person, in which case 😬

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net