Highlighted
by
EE Employee

More about the Power Bars Batch E1-06 Recall

EE Help

UPDATE (16/12/2015): Please read our announcement about an important EE Power Bar safety issue

Hello,

You may have received a text message in the last few hours, read our post here in the EE Community or read a story in the news or on our social media channels, asking for you to stop using and return your EE Power Bar. If so, it will have been explained that this is because a very small number of the charging devices may contain a fault that could cause them to overheat.

EE Power Bars have been hugely popular with customers. We all know how much we use mobile devices, and helping customers’ batteries stay charged without having to find a power socket put a smile on our customers’ faces and ours. It’s why we were happy to have given out over 1.5m Power Bars since April this year.

With all electronic devices, from mobile chargers to mobile phones, there can be faults, and these are occasionally reported to the manufacturer or the retailer. After four months of delivering EE Power Bars into the hands of our customers, we had received word of just a few that developed very minor faults. We investigated and these were very typical for rechargeable electrical items, and well below the usual level that would cause concern.

But a very small number of incidents in the last few weeks have been significant enough for us to want to investigate them further. So we’ve sent a number of Power Bars away for extra testing and uncovered that there is the small possibility that, while manufactured to a standard that meets EC safety standards, some could be faulty.

All of the incidents reported have been on a single batch of the Power Bars – ones marked Model: E1-06.

The detail here is that all lithium-ion charging devices have an in-built safety feature and we are investigating whether a failure in this feature could be at fault.

We have not been mandated to recall the EE Power Bars, but we value our customers’ safety above all else, and we felt the only way we could guarantee customer safety was to voluntarily instigate a recall of batch E1-06 so that we could complete a full and thorough investigation.

That’s why we have taken this action today. We will do everything we can to make returning EE Power Bars as simple as possible, and I will keep you informed of our findings and our progress. Once the investigation is complete, our intention is to replace all of the E1-06 chargers and deliver them back to you.

I’d like to say thank you very much in advance for your help in getting Power Bars back to us. Again, I’m very sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

We are very fond of our Power Bars and we know you are too, so we are very sad to have to take this action.

Please share your thoughts, comments and concerns with us below!

Thank you,

Pippa Dunn

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Former EE Community Manager
Solution

Re: More about the Power Bars Batch E1-06 Recall

17 REPLIES
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks for the information @Pippa_D & the EE community team. It's really reassuring to see you guys are totally on top of this, and are recalling these power bars without any 'legal' requirement to pressure to do so.

I'll need to check mine (when I manage to find it!!) and see if it needs returning... but thanks again for keeping us in the loop. The communication around this has been top notch. Smiley Happy

Titanium 

by

Hi @Titanium! Thanks for commenting. Hope you find that Power Bar soon.

by HelenW1
Visitor

As an owner of a Power Bar from one of the batches that hasn't been recalled, I would like to know how you reached the decision to only recall E1-06.

You have said that there are 1.5 million Power Bars in circulation, and according to this BBC news story,  one third (half a million) are from batch E1-06.  This story also states that five power bars have overheated.

With such a huge number of power bars in use and such a tiny number of faults, how can you be certain that the fault correlates only to one batch?  As batch E1-06 is either the largest or second largest batch by a very large degree (facebook users report owning bars with batch numbers E1-01 to E1-05 as well, but no more), surely it is not  so very out of the ordinary for 5 randomly selected bars to all come from it?

This, in addition to the numerous reports on your Facebook page of owners of overheating power bars from batches which are not being recalled, does not reassure me of the safety of my bar.

Please be assured I am not questioning your intent or the integrity of your actions in this recall, I trust you are acting in the customers' best interests, however as someone with an interest in statistics and mathematics I am would like to know how you have come to be satisfied that the other batches are not at risk.  Please feel free to explain using as complex mathematics as you like!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

A line from the above post 

"All of the incidents reported have been on a single batch of the Power Bars – ones marked Model: E1-06."

And if your not totally happy about the power bar your using you can take it back.  

by Tinks116
Visitor

I returned my power bar to the Gallions Reach branch in Becton and was told I had to go online to get my £20 accessories voucher.  from reading other posts I don't think this is correct. Please can you let me know how I now receive my voucher.  Thank you

by MadMick Investigator
Investigator

I returned my e-106 power bar to my local store on sunday. i was given a £20 voucher, valid from the following day for 30 days. i was told that this would cover the cost of a new power bar. yet, the cheapest one on the ee site is £29.99! potentially leaving me out of pocket by £9.99. thanks!

yet a quick look on amazon reveals at least four power bars for less than £20.

so, why give me a voucher which doesn't cover the cost of the item?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The voucher isn't for a new powerbar.

You got a £20 voucher as the power bar in question that you returned was £20 to buy. You got it free as part of their Free Power Bar to every EE customer campaign.

You get what it is valued at.
Brendon

If you think I helped please take time to press the button below
Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile
0800 956 6000 (Option 5) from any other phone
0800 079 8586 Home Broadband & EE TV

by MadMick Investigator
Investigator

Yes, thank you, I am well aware of that!

However, you have answered a question that I did not ask.

I wil await a reply from someone at EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The voucher doesn't have to be used on a new power bar it is for any accessory on the accessory page
Brendon

Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MadMick,

The voucher is for anything on the site, you will get another power bar from us in time once all the testing has been completed.

The voucher is not specifically for any item and anything you might like to purchase over £20.00 you would need to pay for.

Thanks.

by AdePatel Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the info. I found that it was easy to return to my nearest EE store. Kind regards!
by

Hi @AdePatel,

That's great.

Hope to see you on the community again in future.

by fiyero

Is there any news on when the Swap scheme will be running again?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Once they finished with their investigations into the recall.
Brendon

Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile

by barriemott1954
Visitor

I recently returned my power bar ( code E1-06 ) to the EE store in Victoria Center Nottingham.  I was told i would get a £20 on line voucher i could use after 24 hours.  I have tried to purchase an item online but it wont accept my voucher code ( i was told the code would be my mobile phone number )

by

Hello thanks for coming to the community. 

I will get this looked into for you, to do this I will need some further details from you, 

You will get a private message from me so I can get these. 

Thanks Leanne.

by
Solution

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions