cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does google say the LTE watch doesnt need a new line to operate

full_of_crap_1
Investigator
Investigator

why does the Google pixel watch help forum say you dont need a new line to operate the lte side of things and yet EE say you do.

Does Google Pixel Watch need its own phone number?

No, Google Pixel Watch does not need its own line. After you pair the watch with your phone and activate the 4G LTE option with a compatible carrier, Google Pixel Watch will share the same mobile number as your phone.

i want to know why EE is charging for another line to operate this watch.
As EE is a registered compatible service provider which google advertises as so, if EE is charging extra to operate this watch and google says it isnt required , isnt this something the consumer omnibus should know about and should investigate as a misrepresentation of sale and conspiracy to increase sales through false advertising.

LTE cellular connection

If you choose to activate a 4G LTE plan for your Google Pixel Watch LTE, your watch should connect directly to your mobile carrier. Your watch and your phone must use the same carrier. Stream music, make and receive calls and text messages, and contact emergency services without your paired phone nearby.

Note: Additional carrier fees may apply.

Supported carriers by country

Country Supported carriers

United States

• AT&T
  • Google Fi
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
  • Cellcom
  • CSpire
  • UScellular

Australia

• Telstra

Canada

• Bell
  • Telus

France

• Orange
  • SFR

Germany

• Vodafone
  • Telekom
  • O2
  • 1&1

Japan

• KDDI
  • Softbank

Taiwan

• Taiwan Mobile

United Kingdom

• EE
  • Vodafone
8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@full_of_crap_1   The watch has nothing to do with your mobile phone contact so why would EE allow you to have a 2nd device on your account that needs a data connection to work.     That watch only shares the call/text allowance of your mobile tariff and it shares the same number as your phone it also needs a cellular connection to work and with that cellular connection you get 10Gb of data for the watch.   You’re paying for that cellular connection and data you can use on the watch.     Again this has nothing todo with the contract for your mobile phone. 

You think you should get that for nothing ?   Again the watch has nothing to do  with your mobile monthly contract and it’s a 2nd device on your account that needs a data connection to work you’re paying for that.    

deathbylemons
Explorer

I had the same thought when I got my watch as a gift with the phone, though annoyingly ee doesn't show you the price when you try to add the 10 gig package to your contract so haven't gone forward with setting it up.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @deathbylemons

To have data on your watch you will be required to purchase a 30 day rolling add on for £7 per month. This will provide you with 10GB of data. 

Katie 🙂

Thank you for this, shame there's only one plan.

@deathbylemons   I’ll be surprised if you need more than 5Gb of data per month.  To purchase 5G of data for your phone it'll cost you just over £14 .   It’s cheap at £7 for 10Gb and you’ll don’t need that amount. 

full_of_crap_1
Investigator
Investigator

Chris the original question is , why is google saying on there help forum that we don't need a new line.

No, Google Pixel Watch does not need its own line. After you pair the watch with your phone and activate the 4G LTE option with a compatible carrier, Google Pixel Watch will share the same mobile number as your phone.

this is stated on google forum by google 
what am i not getting. is it true or a lie

@full_of_crap_1   As stated via Google’s own page that you’ve shown it’ll share your phone number it’s not a 2nd line that has its own number for calls/texts it uses your mobile number.  But it still needs a data connection that you pay for.

The question in bold text is 

The answer is no it doesn’t need its own number for calls/text it uses your phone tariff allowance and your mobile number for calls/texts  

It even says 

Google Pixel Watch will share the same mobile number as your phone.

It does however need a data connection to work and you’re paying for that connection.     All networks will charge you to have a 2nd device on your account that needs a data connection as these 2nd devices have absolutely no connection with your mobile phone tariff.      The watch is linked to account level so it can receive calls and texts when someone calls your phone or you make a call/text via the watch.    That connection to the EE/any network needs to be paid for and that’s what you’ll be paying for.    

and as you posted everything on your first post I’ll copy and paste this.

Note: Additional carrier fees may apply.”

so the fact that i have now 5 numbers on my plan instead of the original 4, albeit the 5th number is for EE Smart Watch 30d £7. you are saying the now 5th number isn't a line as such but a data plan attached to a number  already on the plan and the fact the number i wanted connected to the watch already has a call and data connection and plenty of data might i say, doesn't really matter to EE. 

is that correct