cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Can’t connect Philips Hue Bridge to 4/5G router

Alex198
Investigator
Investigator

Hi everyone,

I have a huawei cpe pro 2 router with an EE sim in it providing 4g wifi to my house. I’ve got a bunch of smart home gadgets installed around the house which have all connected fine to the router 

Unfortunately I have had no luck with connecting the Philips hue hub (v2) to it, i remember seeing a thread somewhere where someone had a similar problem with their Philips hue bridge and a 4g router and there was a mention of changing DHCP or DNS settings? 

If anyone could help out as it’s driving me slightly mad that I have all these Philips hue lights which I can’t control with Alexa.. thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community, @Alex198

What is the connection problem? Is it just not finding the router? Do you get any error messages or anything?

We'll do our best to help.

Chris

Hi @Christopher_G 

the bridge simply can’t connect to the internet. It’s plugged in via Ethernet to the 4/5G router I mentioned earlier, but the light that shows if it has an internet connection blinks instead of staying a steady blue light 

thanks for the help! 

These Blue flashing light thingys, are they Flashing because they aren't connected to the Router or the Internet?.

You can check what is connected in the Routers Admin Home Page.

I would recommend anyone with a Huawei CPE LTE Router running an EE SIM to set the APN Profile to IPV4 Only.

How are you running the WiFi in terms of the Bands 2.4 & 5Ghz, are you running both together in Auto, if so, I would split them into 2 different Access Names this can help identifying connection issues.

Another thing to check is the WiFi Channels, in particular the 5Ghz Band is this set to Auto, if so which Channel ?, If the Huawei is a Global version it may Automatically set this Channel to 100 or above, meaning some Devices may not connect to these extended Band Channels, or find out what channels your Devices are compatible with and manually select those channels on the Router.

Hi there,

So I checked on the router admin page and the Philips bridge is connected properly.

The flashy light on the Philips bridge is because the bridge can't connect to the internet which from what I have read elsewhere it is something to do with the stock setup of these 4/5g routers. 

So with the APN profile, if I change the EE internet default profile to specifically IPV4 only what would that do? 

Yeah the wifi is split into 2.4 & 5 as separate access names,

So the 5GHz band is running on Auto (default), and the channel is also Auto, 

Does any of the above help? I'm completely out of my league when it comes to internet knowledge so hopefully it helps direct us to a solution! Thanks again 🙂

Did you change it to IPV4 Only ?

Sorry for the late reply @EssexBoyEE , yeah so I just changed it to IPv4 only, the light on the. Philips hue bridge is no longer flashing, it's just turned off now,  Do you know if changing the router to IPv4 takes time or should it be an instant fix if it was going to work? Thanks 🙂

The time required to apply that fix will be the time taken for you to reboot the router as it's always good to ensure such changes survive a reboot. 😁

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Hi there,

Got it - the bridge is still not connected to the internet then, are there any other ideas you may have? 

If it helps, here is the link to another thread with someone having roughly the same problem as me and it was solved https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4GEE-WiFi/4GEE-router-won-t-allow-Hue-Bridge-to-connect-to-the-interne...

Thanks again!