Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadmap for ee tv minibox - Recording / Viewing recording

WoogieBoogie
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

I know that currently it is not possible to watch content recorded on the main ee box on a mini box. In addition nor is it possible to initiate recording from the mini box. 

Question - Are these features even on the product roadmap. I'm currently with Sky and was going to move to ee TV but this limitation is disappointing 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"Given ee does have agreement to record content on the main box"

On this point, this came with additional restrictions when we launched Internet mode - part of the negotiation to allow IP channels included restricting ad skipping on ITV.  Other restrictions are coming - also part of these same Internet Mode agreements.

BT TV/EE TV has been around for over 10 years, and this has been a commonly requested feature right from the start.  As the dev lead for the mobile app since the start, I can say I've had this discussion many times over the years.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DarrenDev
EE Employee

They're not on the roadmap, and almost certainly never will be. The content providers won't allow it - they want you to use their catch up apps instead.

Why then do Sky mini boxes allow it (even for non Sky content). Also if the main ee tv box allows you to record then I don't understand your point about content providers not allowing ie they wouldn't allow it for the main box either? Isn't this a problem that is controllable by ee (eg have the mini boxes be clients of the main box acting as a server) 

Sharing the content with a different box (or with the mobile app) is classed as redistribution. We proved many years ago that we could do it, but couldn't get permission. Other providers have more bargaining power.

WoogieBoogie
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Darren. Wow that's a pretty hard nosed attitude from content owners and perhaps more down to commercials constraints that Sky agreed with them - feels like a restriction of competition. Would be surprised if this situation persisted for years: the gradual migration to fully Internet TV (eg Freely) would make it a natural step (at least if considering customer centred design). Not everything is on catch up.. and customer ought to be priority. 

The situation is getting more controlled.  You'll no doubt already have seen that the ITV channels no longer allow you to skip the ads (even when recorded on the TV Box Pro) - further restrictions will follow, for sure.  The content providers want everything to be streamed on demand in their apps, under their control, and with their own personalised advertising revenue.  With everything being delivered over the internet, there'll come a time where there's no need for recordings (or even live channels) - everything will be available on demand.

Regarding "a time when recording will no longer be needed" I respectfully disagree at least for the foreseeable future. Catch up services tend to be a curated set of content. I agree that if you extrapolate to the nth degree then every piece of content will be accessible.. however long way off.

Given ee does have agreement to record content on the main box I'm frankly surprised they aren't fighting harder to reach parity with Sky (ie view content on the main box on a different tv that is connected to the mini box) . The reason Sky have the feature in the first place is that there is a demand for it. I would think it would be very attractive to provide this given the increasingly competitive environment. Anyway, not giving you a hard time as you've been v helpful. Just disappointed the product owner at EE can't push more 

"Given ee does have agreement to record content on the main box"

On this point, this came with additional restrictions when we launched Internet mode - part of the negotiation to allow IP channels included restricting ad skipping on ITV.  Other restrictions are coming - also part of these same Internet Mode agreements.

BT TV/EE TV has been around for over 10 years, and this has been a commonly requested feature right from the start.  As the dev lead for the mobile app since the start, I can say I've had this discussion many times over the years.

Thanks Darren. I guess I'll have to lump it. To be clear I'd accept limitations re adverts - it's the fact the minibox is constrained by commercial agreements that's annoying. Anyway let's hope content providers quickly make catch up scope ever more broad. As you say effectively very similar outcome for the customer. Before I go though, there is an interesting argument here for the Competition & Markets Authority. It's only Sky here in UK that provides this capability you'd have to ask why that is especially for BBC content. If it's more that EE simply won't pay any additional costs that's a different point I guess. Anyway, thanks for your patience.