cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini TV box

karis6197
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have recently switched from BT to EE TV & note that the 2 x TV mini boxes supplied under our contract use wi-fi to stream HD TV & the various TV apps over an internet connection. We frequently visit Spain & I currently jump through various hoops on my laptop in order to stream/watch British TV channels on TV. I wondered if one of these mini TV boxes would work in Spain through a VPN ? Or is there some devious bit of inbuilt software that would prevent this!

4 REPLIES 4
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @karis6197 

You will still need to use a VPN but it should work. 

Not sure i can say much more as you need a tv licence to watch UK tv which isn't available abroad legally. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Thanks Northerner; yes I am aware of the "supposedly" legal restrictions of watching UK TV abroad. But, the way I see it, I have bought a UK TV licence & that should allow me to watch UK TV no matter where I am in the world, even if it needed some for of licence verification/sign in but that's not the way they have decided to do it! For many years we've spent 4 months a year in Spain & every ex-pat I know out there works some sort of fiddle to get the UK channels. It used to only be possible via satellite dish & (illegal) sky box & even the hotels/apartment blocks do it! But, with Spanish BB speeds improving, it's been possible to stream most of the time, in SD at least, for ablaut 6/7 years where we go. I did think I would still need to run through a VPN as now with my lap top but just wondered if there was some jiggery pokery built into the TV mini box that would prevent it working out there. Guess the only way I'll know for sure is to try it but I didn't want to lug the box all the way to Spain only to find it wouldn't work!

DarrenDev
EE Employee

Multicast (the method by which the channels are delivered) doesn't work over a VPN.

karis6197
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Aha, how boring! I thought there might be some inbuilt catch. Why make it so difficult to watch simple TV programmes, even after you've paid your dues. Looks like I will have to stick with the lap top then, where there's a will, there's always a way!