cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE HD v Sky UHD

kabp
Visitor

Hi, 

We've just come over from Sky where we had UHD and now have EE HD and there seems to be a huge variation in quality. 

When we took this out EE said that as long as we had HD we shouldn't see the difference but it is significant.  I wondered if this is the same with everyone or perhaps just our TV/settings?

We have 14 days to cancel with EE if we aren't happy so wondered what other people have experienced please?

Thank you

19 REPLIES 19
DarrenDev
EE Employee

Could you please give some examples of what you're seeing lower quality on?  e.g. specific channels?  On-demand?  Apps?

Mickhellard0609
Investigator
Investigator

Hello just letting you no.in my experience. I have sky glass tv and just moved over to ee for the cheaper deal.i had the full works on sky.but the full works on ee worked out a lot cheaper,but yes you right .the picture quality slightly worse on most channels.i am moving to a faster speed Internet 1tb speed.This hopefully will give me better quality. If not,I will just move back to sky.

Bea08
Explorer

I've just come over from Sky and I'm finding picture quality and sound not very good. It's annoying too as I've an expensive TV (OLED) so it's quite noticeable when viewing apps. I'm wondering whether to go back to Sky. I'd be interested to know if you're moving back.

No not at moment.it seems to work fine..like I said I have 1tb broadband
speed.plus I recently rung sky,because at first I had same probs.they sent
me these free of charge and they do the trick and have no probs.i would
give them a call and explain what probs you have,so they can send same.hope
this helps

I'm rural and the Internet speeds aren't great. I'm on the fastest speed. I'll talk to EE and see what they say and whether they can make improvements. 

Omesha
Explorer

I have also just moved and within the 14 day period. The quality is lacking any sharpness and the colours aren't as vibrant. We are on the 500mb internet speed so I don't think that is the issue. Have you been able to resolve this at all?

• Sky News
  • BBC's
  • ITV
  • Channel 4
  • E4

They all look smoothed. Lack sharpness (almost pixelated). Colours are not vibrant. 

EE Box settings are set to highest quality for picture and sound. 

stereohaven
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I do think the output from the EE TV Pro box on streamed channels is ‘soft’ and slightly worse again in aerial mode (it should be), but I don’t think it is that different to Sky Q (I have both and can compare on an OLED and LCD TV).

Sky Glass is a really poor VA panel in an overpriced TV, so less said the better, but a direct comparison with EE TV is Sky Stream, which does have a very, very good HD and UHD picture, better than Sky Q and EE TV without any shadow of a doubt.

I find NOW content through the app on an Apple TV with Boost to be on a par with Sky Stream HD quality, plus the device is really, really good at upscaling, but the EE TV app feed is not as good. Not bad, but not as good, plus they love a ‘security rectangle’ so, I avoid it.

So what am I saying?

Currently, Sky Stream is better for picture quality, but EE TV is cheaper and not far off quality wise for most people (insert caveat here that many people still happily watch in standard definition and don’t mind adverts - weirdos!), so you pay your money and takes your choice.

You have a cooling off period so use it either way. Caveat emptor.

BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K

"soft" is a really good way of putting it. 

Perhaps i went wrong in choosing the Pro box over the apple tv box. But you're then deciding between the ability to record telly and have a TV type experience over an app based experience.