cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Migrations are they a scam or related to EE?

Mschwing
Investigator
Investigator

I just got a call from these guys, having mostly ignored them. The chap offered me an upgraded deal for free minutes for 50p more than I was already paying, he went through a fairly in depth credit check but when he asked for my bank details I explained I already pay a direct debit monthly so why did he need this? I hung up. Are these guys anything to do with EE at all? 

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Mschwing 

What number called you? 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

O1942901140,  It comes up on the phone as PAYG Migrations. The chap indicated they were part of EE and had details on my package and usage, which seemed to ring true initially, but when he was asking so many personal details and then eventually for the bank account details that was my cue to cut it off.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

On the assumption that you've not created a phonebook entry for "PAYG Migrations", I would assume this is happening by an Android lookup.

You're correct to believe that EE would hold details of your bank payments already and have no reason to ask. If EE are calling you, they don't have a reason to avoid admitting so or answering straight questions. Callers who try to evade such questions or give indirect answers, probably have an ulterior motive for doing so.

Hi @Mschwing 

Seems to be a legitimate number.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/offers-and-services/other/phone-calls-from-our-partners

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You are not paying a DD for PAYG. You are paying by a direct card payment monthly. They are not the same thing. EE won't have your bank details, just your card details (long no. etc.).

He was trying to sign you up to a contract where you'd be paying monthly for at least a year. With PAYG you may stop & start when you want.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mschwing
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks All!