cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45% Discount - SCAM

BlueSkyBri
Visitor
Why would a "traditional barbershop" be ringing me to offer a 45% discount on my mobile phone bill?

I just had a call from a Southend-on-Sea phone number (01702 528567) where the caller with a "foreign accent" was offering me a 45% discount on my mobile phone bill. SCAM!!!

Turns out the real owner of the number has nothing to do with my mobile provider and is infact a legitimate business "traditional barber" in Southend-On-Sea!

Turns out the owner of the number, who I have called knew nothing about this and is looking into it!
19 REPLIES 19

Ha, ha... nice!
If I ever (more likely than not!) find myself picking up the phone talking with one of these people, I'll take your lead and have some fun wasting their time

daisy46
Visitor

I had 2 of these scam calls on a week grrr

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

I am sorry to hear this @daisy46.

If you are ever unsure of a call please give us a call on 150 and our customer care team will be happy to confirm.

Katie

That is brilliant and certainly brightened up my morning.   I was Googling these scams as I was a potential victim yesterday (26 July 2023).  A foreign sounding guy phoned me to tell me about the infamous discount they were offering.  Obviously, I started to ask questions and was interested because he did sound plausible.  He claimed I would have unlimited internet, texts etc.  This is consistent with my current package so I semi-believed it.  I always check though and asked him to confirm my first name.  Then the waffle started.  He said he could not for security reasons and so forth.  They can only access such and such etc.  I then pointed out that it didn't look too efficient if EE calls me and doesn't know who I am!  I won't bore everyone with a lengthy tirade, but I said that I would hang up and phone EE directly via the proper channels and he became irritated and bordering on the rude.  He tried to insiste he would ring me back ON THE PROPER EE NUMBER.  So one asks, if you are from EE why are you NOT ALREADY using their number?  I like winding them up and keeping them on the phone (like yourself).  A - it wastes their time and B - it prevents them and hopefully, discourages them from scamming others (although I doubt that one).  I shouted at him  - that I would be ringing EE myself and did he understand that.  His reply was, "I understand - Mother F***er.  Real EE standard - naturally.   The disturbing thing is that I reported the number from EE, not realising that it was spoofed and the number he 'called' from was actually a carvery/restaurant.  I even phoned it to verify that and it was.  These people can actually make it look as if they ARE calling from an official department.   I just do not trust anyone now who phones out of the blue.  ALWAYS check, no matter how plausible it sounds, by phoning via the proper channels.  ALSO, use a different phone from the one they called on. Or dial a different number to ensure they are not still on the line and able to make it sound as if you have phoned correctly to the department you seek.   They are getting increasingly plausible, sophisticated and clever and we can never be complacent.  I love the fact that you kept them busy for 47 minutes.  Sadly, I did not achieve that, but certainly managed to wind him up to the extent that he swore at me.

Ulumma
Visitor

Hi,

I've also just received the exact same call from two guys including one called Mike.

The number ID they were calling from showed up as Nutters (01392279941) on my phone, and as he spoke I did a quick google search and realised Nutters was a Unisex Hairdressers based in Exeter. He (with a clear Indian/ Asian accent ) said he was calling me from EE and that he wanted to offer me a 45% discount on my phone bill to compensate for the very poor services EE customers have been getting. He first asked me how I found my network service of recent, whether it was good or poor and that people had been complaining and that EE wanted to make up for this. I told him service was ok, can sometimes skip but generally EE was great.

He then proceeds to ask me how much I was paying monthly. Then asked me for my email address in order to apply the 45% discount for 12 months. Funny enough, he asked me to confirm my email using phonetics just to ensure it was the right one, and that due to data protection I had to do this as it was part encrypted at his own end hence why he couldn't see it. I felt at that point, if this was genuine, EE has got my details and surely without a call, they would just send me any offer by email and it is my choice to accept or not as they have nothing to loose?

I gave him the email but asked him to send me the details of the offer so I could go through it. He asked me to check my email and to give him the code I see on there in order to activate the discount on my account. I actually didn't recognise straight away that it was a code to change my password and ID at first, because I have never had to request for a forgotten password ever from EE. I always knew my password and use fingerprint ID with EE phone app. And yes, I should have read the email clearly, was but was simply looking out for just the so called code as I wasn't familiar with such.

He then said he'll connect me to his superior to complete the process after taking the code. It became clearly suspicious when his superior started confirming all of my details including my names and date of birth as he was spelling it all out, since he now had full blown access to my account. Funny enough, they were trying to be professional through it all by asking me that if I had any questions, i could ask them before they continued, and they were really trying hard to sound all customer caring and genuine 😂.

While his superior was still speaking, the line then cut off (which I suspect he'd cut off himself). I quickly went to my EE app to access it, but noticed it said I had entered incorrect details, meaning i couldn't sign myself in. I quickly requested a forgotten password link, and got same email as before with a code to change my password, which I did swiftly now realising what they had wanted to do. From the line cutting off to me changing my password details took less than 50 secs. I regain full access back to my account, quickly checked if anything had changed or was suspicious, and everything was fine. I've checked more than a few times after and everything on my account is all ok with nothing suspicious, thankfully.

It didn't surprise me that Nick then called me back again within minutes, this time with a different number reading 08000798586, tried to reintroduce himself again like it wasn't clear enough at this point what he was all about, and then said I should check my email as he had sent a confirmation of what was discussed.

They use genuine EE emails with the genuine domains (EE promotions, info.ee.co.uk, etc) to do this. And the email I received spelt my name all in lower case (very unprofessional and unlike EE) welcoming me to EE like i wasn't already a customer, and was confirming I now had a promotional plan, discount details for 12 months, however with a free iPhone visual voicemail🙄. Clearly, I have a Samsung phone, not an iPhone and never owned one from EE.

I confronted him and told him it's illegal and criminal for him to try and change customers passwords without their consent. He then said I didn't need to worry about anything, and that this was all genuine (me laughing now), but that the password change was for them to enable the 45% discount, and that I can always revert to a new password after 24 hours if I wanted to.

I told him that he should know at this stage he's fake (i didn't tell him he's scamming) and not a genuine EE person and that I wasn't interested in the so called offer anymore and won't proceed with the call. He politely said 'ok' and hung up.

Shame they can get away with accessing EE emails and promos though.

PickledP
Visitor

I just had a similar call offering me a 40% discount and asking me for my email address. I told  them if they were from EE they should have the details on their system then hung up 

PixelPeach
Visitor

I’ve just had a call from 07307 230916 offering this same “discount” - looks like they are still at it!

Samf308
Visitor

Same here, today, it amused me to listen to the caller try and guess my email before they finally  hung up 🤣🤣🤣

SeanP1990
Visitor

Just had the same, asked how much I pay for my bill. My reply you should know this being my service provider. Very insistent that I should tell him, my reply I don't give details unless I can verify I'm speaking to ee etc. Foreign accent, guy got annoyed when I wouldn't give details

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SeanP1990

Welcome to the community. 

Thanks for coming here and letting us know. 

It's great to hear you have not provided any details.

Please be sure to let us know if you receive anymore calls. 

Katie