cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to tranfer phone number to a sim-free iphone

tanyamon88
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I've got a sim-free iphone, but still want to use an EE sim card. Anyone know the process to link the phone number with the phone, without using a sim card?

14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The SIM is the no. Just put an EE SIM in the phone & it becomes linked to the no.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

the phone doesn't have a sim card slot - it's the new iphone

OIC! Then you need to order from EE an eSIM. You might need to order an ordinary physical SIM 1st & have it converted to eSIM.

"SIM-Free" usually means that it come w/out any particular network's SIM & you insert/load 1 of your choice, not that it can't have a SIM.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@tanyamon88  If it’s a UK model iPhone then it has a sim slot.  Only iPhones sold in the USA are esim only.    

On the left side of the device there is a hole you push the sim pin tool into that hole to open the sim tray. 

Theo77
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If your iPhone 15 doesn't have a SIM card slot, this implies it was originally purchased in the USA as UK models do still have a SIM card slot (even on the latest device) so that is why others may have been getting confused.

To get this phone working on the EE network (and keep your current number) you'll need to install something called an eSIM on the phone.

This may be very easy if you can just select "Transfer number" during the initial set-up of the device or later when both devices (old and new) are in Bluetooth range from Settings > Mobile service. However, if you can't get this to work you'll need to order an eSIM from EE, which you could possibly install almost immediately via the EE app on your new phone, or may arrive as a QR code (note you will need WiFi on your new device to activate an eSIM).

More info at the EE help link below:

https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/getting-started/esim/what-is-an-esim 

it is a US phone

@tanyamon88   To have use of the esim in that device you need to be a contract customer esim isn’t yet available for PAYG customers. 

If you’re a contract customer you’ll have to call customer services to get this setup.  

@Theo77    Is there another iPhone in order to proceed with this ?    @tanyamon88  Doesn’t say 

Thank you! This is really helpful! I'm based in the US but use my UK sim when I travel to the UK. Since the new iphone doesn't have a slot, I was hoping to set up my UK number as Esim without needing to be in UK. I will try those steps you mentioned.