cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: eSIM activation

DexterGregor
Investigator
Investigator

Hi vxlr. Did you manage to get this sorted? If yes, how? I’m in the exact same situation (needing to transfer my number from a physical SIM to an eSIM). I won’t be back in the UK for a while yet, so I’m quite keen to do this.

9 REPLIES 9
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DexterGregor 

Is there a reason you would like to swap to an eSIM when abroad? 

We do advise transferring to a new SIM card whilst in the UK as the SIM may need to be registered on the EE network and if you are travelling this may not register for you. 

Leanne.

Hello @Leanne_T ,

I urgently need to change phones, and I do not want to have to be carrying two handsets around (one for my local phone and one for my EE phone). I won’t be back in the UK for a while yet but I also need to be easily reachable for folks back home.

I understand that the recommendation is to perform the eSIM transfer while physically in the UK. However is there a chance that the procedure will work while outside the UK? Thanks in advance for your response.

Leanne_T

Hi @DexterGregor 

Sorry this is not something we could guarantee as the SIM will not have access to EE to fully register. 

Leanne.

@Leanne_T thanks for the quick reply. If perchance I do risk it and the eSIM indeed has issues registering on the EE network, will I then be able to complete the process when back in the UK or would I have to reorder a new physical SIM to restart the process from scratch?

Leanne_T

Hi @DexterGregor 

You should be able to connect once back in the UK, if you do have any problems you can visit an EE Store with photo ID to get a replacement SIM. 

Leanne.

Perfect. Thanks for the clarification.

Leanne_T

No problem at all @DexterGregor 

Have a lovely day 🙂

Leanne.

@Leanne_T for your info, and for the benefit of other EE subscribers who may have been in a similar situation as mine, I was able to successfully transfer my mobile phone line from my physical SIM to an eSIM while abroad. Note that I was in France at the time with my mobile line set to roaming and using an iPhone 15 Pro Max. Here're the sequence of events:

• Once I started the transfer process using the iPhone's set-up prompt, the physical SIM immediately stopped working.
  • It initially seemed that the transfer was unsuccessful (the eSIM didn't immediately activate on the iPhone).
  • However, after a restart a few hours later, the EE eSIM activated.

As someone else said on a different post on the same subject, you do this at your own risk . Based on my experience, you will need to roam your line while abroad to give the process a chance of succeeding. 

Cdc4
Visitor

i’m having the same problem on this occasion however, I have previously managed and was told shown how to do it by going to the app requesting is a replacement and then convert some to Ethan and then download it onto the phone simple as that it’s worked for months and yesterday deleted the deleted by mistake and I’m having the same problem so I know if they have changed the system with something but yeah hopefully I can get this sorted tonight. Other have to go into any store tomorrow with I can just get a code scanned onto the phone with the Nissan it’s very simple straightforward getting there the problem best of luck bye-bye