cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet to EE while in Australia for a year

md9876
Explorer

I moved to Australia for 15 months just before plusnet decided to migrate everyone to EE. I've now received my physical EE sim card in Australia (redirected via airmail from the UK by my relatives) but have now been told by Plusnet that it can't be activated abroad just by putting in phone. 

The latest advice I received from a plusnet employee was "I think EE can activate the SIM for you as far as I am aware, we definitely can from our side so it might be worth dropping them a line to see if they can do it for you." I have a PAC code from plusnet. I am in Australia until Feb 25. If I insert my new EE sim card into my phone can I transfer my plusnet number across using this PAC code whilst in Australia? Alternatively, if I keep using my existing plusnet sim card will I keep my number and service working until I return to UK in Feb 25?

3 REPLIES 3
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @md9876

Welcome to the community. 

Has the EE SIM been used in the UK before being airmailed to yourself in Australia?

All SIMs must be activated whilst in the UK using the EE home network.

When did you receive your PAC code from Plusnet?

Katie

Thanks for the reply Katie.

The SIM was not activated in the UK. They just redirected the package so I have the SIM with me in Australia but it has not been put in a phone yet.

I received the pac code from Plusnet on 17 November. I have the details for a helpful agent for Plusnet so I'm sure I can get a new one if that has expired.

I would be very grateful if you could help me. Is it really not possible to active the SIM remotely? If not I suppose I will have to post it back to the UK, ask someone to activate it in a phone and then post it back to Australia? This seems a bonkers solution... I really don't want to lose my UK number whilst abroad.

Thanks, Martin.

@md9876   The problem is your on a roaming network the signal to activate a sim just doesn’t go through to roaming network .  PlusNet definitely can not activate a sim on a roaming network.  
Your other issue is migration of your number again on a roaming network just isn’t going to happen.     Nothing stopping you having this sim activated and your number migrated over to that sim in the UK then posted out to you.