I'm lost in EE

Hwalker11
Investigator
Investigator

I needed more data than the small amount that came with my plan. It went just updating my apps in about ten minutes. So I rang and asked for some more. Seems it's not possible until a month after your contract starts. Odd!

Solution was to take out another contract with 10 gig of data on a family plan, and then I could transfer data to my original number. Seems simple enough. I asked if it needed to be on a different phone, and was told no. It's not needed. So long as I put it on your account it will work. So I do a 5meg transfer from one to the other, and it works for a while.

Today I'm having lunch and I get a text. Switch your phone on and off for network reasons. So I do.

Later I send a text to my mate and don't get a reply.

It's getting late so I ring him. He's replied but I don't get the text. It's on his p hi one and not on mine. Ring EE around 8.45. Speak to two agents, both eager to help but both drop out and then the office closes. Fair enough.

So I do some experiments.

Send a text to my wife and it arrives  She replies and that does not arrive, so she sends on to me from her contacts list and it works.

So I check the phone number of the sender of the text that I sent to her. It's a strange number. I go onto my EE app and sure enough the number is listed there. But it's not mine. I can phone my wife but when she replies I don't get the call and it comes up unknown number. She rings me from her contact list and my phone rings. Now the light is dawning!

They have set up the second account on my phone, but when I send a text, it does not send my phone number, but that of the second account that I don't have a SIM for.

When I send a text from my phone it takes a wrong number with it, and if anyone replies, it tries to ring that number. If they call or text me from my original number then everything works. I'm the post comes a SIM. With that strange number on it.

No good as I don't like that number, I need my own which I have had for the last ten years. And all my friends have it.

It seems to me that I need a new contract, with my correct number on it and some data. But will EE cancell the old ones and set up a new one.

Luckily I'm within the 14 days of making an on line purchase. Off to the shop in the morning. I cannot stand being treated so badly, though everyone was working for my best interests. Surely someone at EE should be able to sort it out. The simbhas not been used, and I'm using data from my other service, BT. Now perhaps my friends will realise why I need three itcori CV users in order to get a live connection.

And me an ex telephone technical officer with BT.

3 REPLIES 3
Hwalker11
Investigator
Investigator

Corrections.

The SIM has not been used.

And I have to have three IT Companies in order to keep in touch.

Cannot find an edit facility on this forum, and phones are notorious for changing text. First time on here.

wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Hwalker11  .. you can edit your post by clicking the cogs at the bottom of your message.

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Hwalker11 ,

If you run out of data allowance in one month, you can purchase a Data Add-On to keep you going until the next month.

It sounds like by that time you would be able to change to a more suitable plan with higher data allowance.

Assuming your home has wired broadband over WiFi, you could also disable mobile data and activate WiFi to avoid running down your data allowance updating software.

Imagine that a landline comes with a certain amount of free minutes but you've run out and instead of buying more, you've had a second line installed which has caused number assignment problems and now needs cancelling.

Your going to need to be careful and explicit in your requests as you've suggested they've been overly helpful in moving your number to a different SIM, presumably with the larger allowance. If you cancel the SIM which has your old number, I guess there's a chance of losing that number unless things are done properly.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net