cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scams relating to Amazon Prime and coronavirus

Sorcha
Former EE Community Manager

We want to share some details of some common scams that are being reported, so that you can protect yourselves from the scammers. 

Don't forget to have a look at our Spam and Phishing: how to stay safe and report it article

Amazon Prime scam

We've seen reports from Amazon Prime customers who say they have received an email which looks like it originates from Amazon Prime. The email states that your order could not be shipped until you confirm your information.

If any of the links contained in the email are clicked the customer will be directed to, what appears to be Amazon’s website, but this is 100% fake. You will be asked to confirm your name, address and credit card information. Once you have input your details that will be sent to the cybercriminals behind the scam.

If you have fallen victim to this specific scam, please immediately contact your bank and also change your Amazon password. May be worth letting Amazon know as well, details on how to report phishing emails can be found on their site.

Amazon Prime scam 2

This scam has been happening over the phone. This scam typically works by you receiving an automated call in which you are informed that a fraudster has used your personal details to set up an Amazon Prime subscription.

You are then advised to press 1 to be connected to Amazon Prime customer service so that they can help. Once you press 1 you will, in fact, be connected with the scammers where you will be told that they will need to connect to your PC remotely to fix a security flaw. They will ask you to download an application call Team Viewer which lets them to connect to your PC.

Once connected to your PC from Team Viewer they will ask you to log in to your online bank account at which point they will steal your banking details or may even try to transfer money from your account.

Coronavirus scams

Yes, unfortunately scammers are trying to take full advantage of the Covid-19 pandemic. There are a number of scams doing the rounds which appear to be related to coronavirus. Action fraud have reported total losses of close to one million pounds already through scams related to coronavirus.

If you would like more details on the particulars of these scams please take a few moments to read the information over on Actions fraud website.

Stay safe everyone and keep a lookout for scammers.

5 REPLIES 5
Mikaiya
Visitor

Hi, I had a scam call claiming to be from Amazon security team. They said someone in Manchester had placed an order for an iPhone 12 .

I told them to give me the name of the person, they gave me my maiden name. I didn’t give them any of my bank details. They did ask me to open my Home Screen on my phone and put them on speakerphone, I told them I didn’t know how to do that as I had only had my phone for a couple of months. In the end I got very upset with them trying to change the subject when I was giving reasons to not do anything they said that I went through Amazon to report fraudulent scams and have now filed a report to the police department. They are currently looking into this person or group that are operating this scam.

I would strongly advise anyone who has someone who pretends to be from a company like Amazon to stay as calm as possible, and not give them any information about yourself or where you live. Then report them to the cyber fraud department. They will keep taking from innocent people until we put a stop to them. 

Hi @Mikaiya

Thanks for telling us about your experience and helping people identify when this kind of thing is happening.

You've handled this amazingly and did the right thing in going to the police.

Thanks 

Chris 

denicoop56
Explorer

New SIM? I was unknowing and stupid , I took a mobile number that called saying I've been charged 79.99 from Amozon prime saying thankyou for your payment and if I didn't authorise this then to press 1, I thought I was talking to Amozon regarding this but I wasn't, she told me that hackers are using my phone based in America and we had to do all kinds of stuff to stop them and get my money back and to set a trap for them so they can get arrested, this call was 4hrs long, short story, I had to sign into my bank , all the time she was cloning my phone and took over my phone filling in passwords ect, she somehow took a photo of me , she said put your face in the oval on the screen, this is because I don't have a passport or driving licence , how on earth did she do that ? then I was put through to the fraud investigating team...he said I have to make a payment to a made up name , 800.00 so they can trace the payment and catch the thieves, I had to call my bank and say I was logged out while making a payment to a

to a friend, basically lie to my bank, the scammers said they will follow the payment and can make an arrest and said he would call back tomorrow morning,  no phone call,  I called my bank and explained what had happened and luckily they got my money back but had to wait a few days until I got my new card and to phone them for new log in details....this is still on going 3 days in...please don't click on a mobile number to stop the Amozon prime payment...go straight to Amozon.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @denicoop56

Thank you so much for coming to the community and sharing this with us. 

I am sorry to hear this happened to you and I believe you sharing your experience with us will help others who may come across this too. 

Katie 🙂