cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this ethical from ee?

miffed5
Investigator
Investigator

opened 2 unused  ee payg 6gb data sim cards today for emergency use, since the 1 year sim card in the mifi failed to connect (it was used less than 120 days ago)  -- "new" cards failed to connect at all -- didnt even get through to the ee payg registration or renewal pages. 

so, after getting through to ee customer support i am told the numbers have been reassigned and can no longer be used by the purchased cards!!!    the cards were bought in september 2020 but both valid until 12/2028 according to the packaging. .  unopened until today, so the 120 days/6 month inactivity excuse shouldnt apply since they have never been activated.

so ee have issued cards that could not be used for the purpose they were intended?  i stress the packaging clearly states they are valid until 12/2028.

is this responsible or even ethical behaviour of a large commercial organisation?  is it fraud, selling something that is subsequently intentionally rendered not fit for purpose? 3 cards purchased and are not fit for purpose.  ee customer support tells me to take it up with the original supplier.  but it is not the supplier's  fault.

will i be buying ee data sim cards ever again?  same  goes for home broadband.   unacceptable behaviour.

13 REPLIES 13

@miffed5  The unused sims will need to be activated to have a change of number as a number has to be in place in order for a new number to replace it.    If that makes sense.     EE wouldn’t be able to just put a new number on a sim without knowing where that number was going too so hence it can not be activated with a different number.  

Thats the best way to explain this.     

Yes, your SIMs are now numberless & can't be given a no. by conventional means.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

just to report back on the recent interaction today  with ee customer support and close off this thread..

customer support confirm the 1 year card no longer works since the number has been reassigned to another account... .it is not simply dormant..   given that the card was purchased end of april 2023 and actually used at the end of summer 2023, it is clear it is impossible for 9 months to have passed, either from date of purchase or indeed from date of first registration. despite this, the number has been reallocated and there is nothing i or ee cs can do about it.  this is in contravention to their own t&c's ..  they are telling lies regarding the 6 month/9 month excuses and i regard this as unacceptable unethical corporate behaviour. 

and similarly, the brand new unopened unregistered data card which also had its number transferred against the conditions of their own t&cs is also a problem they have washed their hands of.

i am writing this sorry experience up with supporting evidence of purchase and registration dates for ofcom to investigate whether this is sharp practice, or  unethical, unprofessional and possibly fraudulent or breach of contrct  behaviour by ee.   so i hope other customers of ee may learn from   my unfortunate experience.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @miffed5 

Welcome to the community and thank you for letting us know what has happened.

I recommend filling in this online form so that our complaints team can fully investigate this and get back to you to discuss this.

Please keep us posted on what happens.

Chris