cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eu roaming charges

fradgoff
Investigator
Investigator

We have a £5 monthly subscription which gets us minutes texts and a small amount data which rolls over. We are told that from June 6th there needs to be an extra charge for using the data in the EU. Can we assume that telephoning and texting EU and UK numbers from Spain and indeed receiving calls from the UK remain free from June 6th, or do the newly imposed roaming charges apply to more than just data.

10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@fradgoff : Where have you been told there are extra charges from June 6th?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mdcher
Investigator
Investigator

My wife is a very long standing existing PAYG customer and had an SMS this morning to inform her of the data roaming charges introduction.  I am too but have not received the message and this post is the only reference to it that I can find online.

Frimleyfrodo
Visitor

I have an EE 7 days for a £1 rolling PAYG contract - my text of this morning told me that from 6th June, without paying £2.50 per day or £10 per week, I would have to pay standard roaming rates for calls and texts and take out an EU data add-on. My EE contract phone has received no such text.

I've just received the same SMS message as follows:

Hi from EE. Just to let you know, we are introducing charges to EU Roaming from 6th June 2023.

If you travel to the EU after this date, you can choose whether to pay £2.50 per day or £10 per week to use your allowances. Please note that if you don't choose, standard rate charges will apply.

Visit https://discover.ee.co.uk/roaming/n6a0W5 to find out more.

hello_mrsun
Investigator
Investigator

I'm curious about this part:

WiFi Calling
If you use WiFi Calling whilst abroad you'll pay our standard international rates. To avoid charges, turn off WiFi Calling..

As far as I know, EE and other service providers in the country restrict WiFi calling to function only within the UK. So I assume that WiFi calling will also be accessible in the EU starting June 6th?

In answer to this it seems that others have now also received the same text message about changes from June 6th so it is genuine message.

Can anyone answer my original question please which I copy and paste again.

We have a £5 monthly subscription which gets us minutes texts and a small amount data which rolls over. We are told that from June 6th there needs to be an extra charge for using the data in the EU. Can we assume that telephoning and texting EU and UK numbers from Spain and indeed receiving calls from the UK remain free from June 6th, or do the newly imposed roaming charges apply to more than just data.

The page which I linked to above says that payment of the additional fee gives you use of your pack allowances - plural, implying data and minutes.  Then quotes roaming prices for minutes and data.  Which I would suggest means that it covers data, minutes and texts.

Radley
Visitor

Radley_0-1682533801254.png

This is what it says, for after 7th June. So should be okay

No, @Radley , that's what it says now, not for the future!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)