cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send text

i_hanjr
Investigator
Investigator

I recently moved from pay monthly to pay as you go as I have recently moved abroad and wanted to keep my UK number. 

I had to have a new sim card sent out as there were issues around me converting old one to an eSIM. My family member activated it in the UK then posted it out to me. 

I have put the sim in my phone and I can receive messages and top up money but I am unable to send text messages. It comes up with an error saying number not formatted correctly. Please can you help as I don't want to loose my UK number 

8 REPLIES 8
i_hanjr
Investigator
Investigator

I've had similar issues. I have managed to top up the sim but I cannot send texts from it and when I try and call it says numbers barred. I can send texts to the number but that is it. It's my old sim that has recently been changed to a pay as you go because I've moved abroad. It had to change to a new sim as I had issues when trying to change it to a eSIM. This new sim was activated in the UK by a family member.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @i_hanjr

Are you aware if the SIM was used in the UK on the EE network before travelling abroad?

Katie

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@i_hanjr : How was it activated by a family member? Did they make a call or text from it while in UK?

For sending texts, ensure your phone's Messaging app has the Message Centre no. setting for EE as +447958879879.

eSIMs are not yet available on PAYG.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
I contacted EE over chat and they activated it without it being in a phone.
They said that was possible for them to do.

I know I can't have eSIM on PAYG (now...something EE neglected to tell me
when I asked) hence why I had to get a new sim delivered to the UK
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @i_hanjr 

To fully activate the SIM on the EE network a call or text would need to have been made whilst in the UK before the SIM can be used abroad. 

Leanne.

Well this is not what EE told me when I spoke to them. Now I can't access
their online chat function and I'm the other side of the world so
impossible to contact them.
It's funny how as soon as you change from pay monthly to PAYG they are
quick to not be helpful

How can I go about rectifying this? I really don't want to loose my UK number. I'm in New Zealand so really difficult to keep trying to sort this out 

Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. using Skype over WiFi. It should be free. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)