cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim issue - connects to network but can't make/receive calls or SMS

nathcher
Investigator
Investigator

I live between Sweden and UK, and have a prepaid EE sim card that I used to use as my main one. During the whole covid shenanigans when I was stuck In Sweden I got a Swedish phone number as my primary but still use the EE one as a secondary sim and switch to that when in the UK.

On the last few trips to London it looked fine. In July I made a call which took my balance to zero and I received an sms to that effect. That was the last sms I received.

I added some credit and that was that for the trip. On next visit it was like I was connected on the EE sim but it acted like no network connection when I tried to call someone or visit a Web page so I assumed it was just network problems and switched to my Swedish sim.

I now need a 2-factor response for my banking but no sms arrives. This is when I noticed my last SMS in was in early July just before I topped up my balance again.

I have tried the sim in 2 different phones with the same results. it appears to connect to the network but the connection is not active. I can't call or sms to that phone number. 

MyEE shows the number is active and I still have balance on the card. 

I called the EE support but they wanted 1st and 3rd digit of some password. I've never set any password except the one I use for MyEE login, and that's not the one, nor is it the PUK code which is the only other password or code I can find for the number. Without that they couldn't help, and the only option they offered was to to an EE store. I am in Sweden currently, about to go to Australia for 2 months, and my concern (aside from immediately unable to access my Lloyds bank) is that if the sim is unused for too long before i get a chance to get to the UK again, it will treat the sim as dormant and I'll lose the number.

Any insights or suggestions at this point are greatly appreciated 

8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@nathcher : You sure it was not in late June, over 6 months ago, not in July that you made your last paid call? EE PAYG SIMs after 179 days of non-chargeable activity. It does sound like that.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

7th July. I'm certain. and nothing at all since then. this is not something happening just now, I've just realised it's not just transient outage or reception issues. 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @nathcher

Welcome to the community.

The password they're asking for is the password specifically for speaking to our customer service team. If you're unable to pass security with them, they will be unable to make any changes or discuss your account.

Are you able to try the SIM card in a different EE/unlocked device?

Chris

Yes, you've just reiterated what I said in the last paragraph about the password, and re: different device, quoting above:

"I have tried the sim in 2 different phones with the same results. it appears to connect to the network but the connection is not active. I can't call or sms to that phone number. "

I'm at the point where I'm just going to transfer the number to a different network and leave EE before I lose the number entirely.

Christopher_G

It may be worth calling our Mobile Care team so they can look into why this is happening, @nathcher.

If you have access to a VoiP service, such as Skype, it may be easier to contact from abroad on this number: +44 800 079 8586.
Chris

You mean the one I talked about calling in the first post and who won't help me without some password that I never set and isn't the password I use to access MyEE?

James_B

Hi @nathcher,

The team can ask you some alternative security questions if you have forgotten your account password.

Thanks

James

DurbanboyUK
Investigator
Investigator

Yes, sound like "Hibernation Suspension/cancellation", EE give 179 days of inactivity, I.e., no usage, like a chargeable call, texts or data used, then it will go into hibernation as part of the  commitment to OFCOM's "Use it or lose it" policy

Pay-as-you-go mobile: use it or lose it - Ofcom

You need to call them asap, because if the number goes into a fully dormant state, it cannot be revived, so to speak. It is lost to you and all the hassles that will bring with 2-factor authentication make it vital you call in