Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending texts while overseas

mjrye
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am overseas with a PAYG mobile. I will be here for several years and I would like to keep using my EE phone to receive bank SMSes and the like. I am not using it day to day, I have a local phone for that.

I can currently receive texts on the roaming network, but I can't send texts or make calls (which I'm okay with, as long as I can keep receiving messages). What do I need to do, to make sure I can keep my number active while I am overseas?

I've been told I need to send a message or make a call every 90 days to keep the number active. Is this correct? How do I do this while I'm overseas? I've tried going to MyEE Account Settings but I can't see any roaming restrictions. None of the packs or add-ons make sense for my situation. I am happy to pay for every text message I send out of my normal balance, I just don't know how to enable texting or calling.

Hope this makes sense,

Mark in Cambodia

18 REPLIES 18
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@mjrye :You need to keep your SIM topped up to pay for any calls and texts, which you need to make every 5 months or so to keep it alive. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @mjrye 

Please see here: 

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/topping-up-and-balance/why-has-my-pay-as-you...

You are better off migrating and services over to your current number if you intend to stay long term. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Thanks XRaySpeX!

That’s what I thought but I don’t know how. Outgoing calls and texts always fail. I’ve tried to make calls and send texts but it just fails every time. Could I be blocked from making roaming calls? If so, how do I get unblocked?
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mjrye

Did you use the SIM card to make a call or send a text message whilst in the UK, before you travelled abroad?

Chris

Hi there Christopher,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes I used my phone every day to make calls and texts when I was in the UK....why do you ask....do you have any ideas on why it might not work now I'm abroad?

Many thanks again,

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

You have to use your phone to send a message or make a phone call whilst in the UK to activate it for roaming abroad. That's why I was asking, @mjrye.

Do you have a credit balance? Do you have a good signal?

What kind of phone are you using?

Chris

Could it be that you were on contract when you were in UK but switched to PAYG when you went abroad? If so, if it was switched to PAYG while abroad it won't work there & you can't now use it until you return to UK. EE PAYG SIMs need 1st activating on EE's home UK network. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi there Christopher,

Thanks again for getting in touch I really do appreciate all of your kind help.

While in the UK I switched from my EE contract to PAYG on 24th Aug 2022 and flew out of the UK on 28th Aug.

No one from EE told me that I had to text ROAMING to 150 before I left the UK so I did not do this but I did continue to use my phone for those 4 days non stop as I booked flights and said goodbye to friends. It worked no problem at all.

While abroad now I receive texts from the UK non stop but what I really really want to do but cannot is to send texts and make calls to the UK.

I currently have a credit balance with 100MB of data showing with no credit showing for minutes or texts....do I need credit on minutes and texts in order for my phone to reactivate and/or send texts and calls to the UK???  If so How do I do this please?

My  phone is an Iphone SE 2020 with IOS. 15.6.1 installed

Many thanks again

Hi there XRaySpeX.  

Thank you so much for reaching out and helping me I really do appreciate all of the time and help you are giving me.

You are right...I did switch from an EE contract to EE PAYG on the 24th Aug 2022 and then flew out on 28th Aug and used my phone non stop throughout those last 4 days to book flights send texts and say goodbye to friends and family.

But....I was not told by EE that I had to text to 150 the word ROAMING ...I had no idea that I had to...do you think my phone is now blocked or unusable now that I am abroad? I am not planning to return to the UK for quite a while and I really do need to continue sending and receiving texts.

Is there any thing I can do at all that you can think of to ensure that I can keep my mobile number?

If getting PAYG is not an option for me is there any other way that I can continue to maintain my phone number while abroad? Could I change from PAYG to a contract and pay to keep my number while I am still abroad so that I can send and receive texts and calls?

Many thanks again for all of your ongoing help.