Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG definition and Wifi Calling queries

YuleGreave
Investigator
Investigator

Sorry for the multiple questions...

First, can anyone confirm my suspicions about PAYG. PAYG used to be when you added money to your account and spent that money as and when you needed to. Now it seems to have changed to adding money to your account and having to use it within 30 days. Legally speaking this is a non-minimum term contract, not PAYG, yet it now seems to be the only option.

Second, due to the atrocity of mobile signals in the area (the mast is 200m away yet 95% of the time I cannot make or receive calls, and most of that time there is not even a signal), I must have Wifi calling with the PAYG option. Can anyone confirm that if I buy a 5G capable phone from Amazon (e.g. Motorola G54) and an EE Sim, then Wifi calling will 100% guaranteed be available.

Then, is it possible to top up without a card. NatWest, despite mandating I need a mobile to do my banking, outright refuses to authorise any top up to a mobile phone on any of my cards and has done this for 15 years. Don't we love when the banks tell us what we can spend our money on. Anyhow, that means my only option is to top up by voucher.

And lastly, if Wifi calling is enabled, do I need any credit on my phone in order to receive SMSs? I'd think not, seeing they don't incur a charge, but I'm well aware that any trick in the book is used to get us to spend money.

Thanks for any help.

9 REPLIES 9
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@YuleGreave well, you can buy 5G phone you won’t receive 5G if you’re a PAYG customer 5G at present is only for contract customers.  But it will still work via 4G for yourself on PAYG, you have use of Wi-Fi calling this includes text messages as well. 

as for purchase a pack that last 30 days that is how they give you more for less money. unlimited call/text and a data allowance. 
If you want a standard pay as you go where it pays for your calls and text you can have this, but if you want data, you will have to buy a data add-on which will last 30 days or until used whichever occurs first. 

as for purchasing a device not from EE. There is no guarantee that that device if EE doesn’t sell it themselves that it will work via Wi-Fi calling.  

( that doesn’t mean you have to buy it from EE. That just means that if EE sell it you could purchase it from elsewhere and it should still work)   That doesn’t mean the one you want from Amazon will not work.   You’ll have to find out yourself.  

you don’t need credit to receive text messages via a cellular signal or via Wi-Fi calling. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master
  1. All EE PAYG SIMs come primed with a recurring Pack of allowances ready to bought out of your PAYG credit as soon as it is sufficient. 

Text STOP PACK to 150 before you next top-up & you can use the SIM for calls & texts but not data as normal PAYG at standard per-unit rates paid for out of your standing PAYG credit balance.

To save the SIM going into hibernation due to lack of use, just remember within every 179 days (~ 6 months) to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from any Pack or Add-on you might have.

2. WiFi Calling can't be guaranteed & will depend on the phone model.
  3. You may be able top-up w/out using your bank card directly by buying a to-up voucher or just a top-up at a shop displaying a Top-up logo XRaySpeX_0-1707499234973.png

(should count just as a purchase) or maybe at an ATM. However I'm surprised at NatWest. Most banks just ask for confirmation it's not fraud the 1st time before letting it thro'
  4. Texts are free to receive worldwide.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks, that's helpful. Regarding this bit - "If you want a standard pay as you go where it pays for your calls and text you can have this, but if you want data, you will have to buy a data add-on which will last 30 days or until used whichever occurs first." This is what I want. Just pre-paid calls and text, but where I don't have to use them within a time limit. I've not seen this as an option anywhere. How can I get it?

Shame there's no way of telling whether a phone not from EE will have wifi calling. They have almost no choice for PAYG phones.

Thanks.

"Text STOP PACK to 150 before you next top-up & you can use the SIM for calls & texts but not data as normal PAYG at standard per-unit rates paid for out of your standing PAYG credit balance."

Does this mean I can have calls and text until my credit runs out, without time limit (aside from the 6 month thing where you need to make a call for it to keep the number active)?

Exactly & those calls & texts themselves will keep it active as they are being charged against your credit.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

@YuleGreave wrote:

Second, due to the atrocity of mobile signals in the area (the mast is 200m away yet 95% of the time.....there is not even a signal)

Are you sure it's an EE site?

I'm not on EE, I'm with O2 currently. I am forced to choose another provider because O2 can't provide even the most basic services. But as there's only one mast in the area I imagine it must be used by all providers. Then again, I can't make head nor tail of the EE coverage map. The description it gives in the text box bears no relation to the map with the coloured overlay. For 4G the map clearly states no reception indoors. Yet the text says 'Good reception indoors'. For 5G the box says no reception at all, yet the map says 'Good' reception outdoors.

But back on topic, I decided to double check with EE about the Wifi Calling option. I rang twice.

Support No.1: I can confirm that Wifi Calling is available on PAYG.

Support No.2: I can confirm that WiFi calling is NOT available on PAYG, only monthly plans.

Maybe I should ring say 15 times and go with the consensus. So depressing.

WiFi Calling is available on PAYG but it depends whether the phone model is supported.

Thanks. Now I just need to find out which. You'd think they'd have a list but I guess I'll just have to buy one and return it if it doesn't have it, and so on, until I get one that works.