Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G PAYG stopped assigning IPv6 addresses

marius_ono
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening all,

I hope my message finds you well.

Up until about December I used to be assigned an IPv6 on my 4G PAYG subscription. That is no longer the case, is this going to be fixed, or is it perhaps a setting on my phone that needs updated (Pixel 7)?

Kindest regards,

6 REPLIES 6
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @marius_ono,

You shouldn't need to change any of your settings.

Does restarting your phone resolve the issue?

James

marius_ono
Contributor
Contributor

Hello James,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Nothing much has changed with the phone, I did restart it a couple times to try and get it working again. I used to have an eSIM loaded on it (which had been disabled), which I have now removed and restarted, still no IPv6 has been assigned to the device.

I have tried this in different areas as well and it's the same.

Are you able to confirm that all PAYG customers should have IPv6 connectivity? If so I can pick it up with customer services maybe ...

Marius

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @marius_ono,

I'm not aware of any recent changes that would have reverted your connection back to IPv4.

I'd recommend contacting Technical Support so a member of the team can take a look at it for you.

They'll be happy to help. 🙂

James

Called 150 and they were very quick to callback (btw, that feature where I send a text describing the issue so that the right person calls me back is killer) and they pointed out that IPv6 is available to PAYG and that perhaps there's something on the phone side (which may as well be with updates and everything).

What I ended up doing is to create a new APN as per the indications here and it got IPv6. Not sure how the APN is different from the default one I had but it does work.

Hope it helps!

UPDATE: My new APN has APN protocol set to IPv6 (which will acquire IPv4 and IPV6). As soon as I set it to IPv4/IPv6 it only gets IPv4 assigned. Looks like something on the pone side.

I'm seeing this as well, all working fine last year, but when I happened to check in January no IPv6.

This is using a Google Pixel 5 which stopped getting updates in October 2023, so unlikely to be a change on the phone side of things, so my gut feel is that this is definitely on the EE side.

Creating  a new APN with protocol just set to IPv6 does appear to work and appears to be issued both an IPv4 and IPv6 address.

354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I too have noticed this on a Google Pixel 2 with similar timings (Dec/Jan) with lack of IPv6 when connected to mobile data; though it doesn't matter much to this device and sim.