Phone for old person

Flyingfemme
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

My mother had a PAYG (with another network) on an old Razr. She knew it and was able to use it. Earlier this year I set her up with an EE subscription so she wouldn't run out of minutes - dementia means she cannot manage a topup any more and I was worried about her.
After a very fraught week it turned out that new SIMs do not work with 2g phones, so I had to buy her a new one. The choice of "old person" phones (simple with big buttons) is not very wide and many being sold are still 2g.................I found one that works on 4g but she refuses to use it, says it "doesn't work" and she will not charge it or carry it. Consequently she is in danger from multiple health conditions and being out of touch. It is not a flip phone, so does not look familiar, and requires an extra button press to unlock, which she cannot get to grips with.

Two questions - exactly which protocols do the newly issued EE SIMs work on (3g?, 4g?) and does anybody know of an "old person" flip phone that I can buy for her?

It seems ridiculous that the phones they are selling for people in difficulties are still so complex. They don't need fancy cameras, radios, email - just a phone and, maybe, a text. But they need to work on modern protocols for when SIM card are renewed or replaced!

11 REPLIES 11

@Flyingfemme , unfortunately plain phones are probably not viable to make, would not sell enough of them, as many do video calls, use the flashlight rather than carry a torch. I personally do not do video calls, but do use the flashlight. If something is not in high demand, then they will not be made.

If she has a landline, then you could ring her that way. Does she have a lifeline, very useful for emergencies and also to make sure she is safe, worth contacting lifeline or social worker.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
Flyingfemme
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

She does have a landline and I generally use it. The problems come when there is a problem............she has been taken to hospital twice this year and nobody was informed. Not having a mobile, we couldn't call her and she couldn't call us. Short of tattooing an ICE on her forehead I don't know what to do! The NHS doesn't share patient records between departments and institutions.

Trying to get her into a care home but that is very difficult these days (not to mention ruinously expensive) and she keeps changing her mind about whether she will go, or not. A formal dementia diagnosis is in the offing - in December when they have their "next  available appointment"!

I dread to think what happens to those who don't have families who can do  things for them.