cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meaningful Credit Check information

_thevirtualnerd
Explorer

Does anyone have clear information on what information is requested and validated with a credit check?  I've attempted to purchase an iPhone 15 Pro MAX with a Pay Monthly All-Rounder SIM.  The request was declined, citing that my credit check failed.

I have access to the credit file and can see that EE Limited (and BTG (BT, EE, PLUSNET)) undertook simultaneous soft searches against my file, one as 'Identity verification' and the other as 'authentication check'.

I have a pristine file with nothing to note on it. All active agreements are healthy, payments are regularly updated, and balances are closed down.  No sooner had I been declined, I then purchased the same phone directly from Apple instead.  I pick that up tomorrow.  Seems odd that one place declines and another accepts

I then went to purchase a sim only contract from EE, and this was also declined.

I've spoken to several EE colleagues who have been very supportive but unable to provide any clarity on what has caused the decline.  I've spoken to my bank to ensure there is no tags/flags to indicate a cyber actor at play; I've checked with Equifax who advise on speaking to EE to understand what criteria is used to measure the credit worthiness of a customer; when I repeated that back to EE - this seemed to stump the four people I've been passed  between.  I'm not having a pop or inciting any frustration, I just need to get clarity on what appears to be a completely ambiguous process with no clear answers on the reasons for a decline.  Anyone any clues?

4 REPLIES 4
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @_thevirtualnerd 

If it was common knowledge then people could commit fraud. 

It could be anything from time at the address to electoral roll, number of recent credit searches, new credit applications or amount already on finance. EE have their own criteria and on this occasion you didn't meet that criteria. 

https://ee.co.uk/help/billing-payments/payment-methods/credit-files-explained

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Every organisation who uses CRA's will have their own internal scoring.

This is another reason why anyone who sells you a "credit score" is exploiting a misunderstanding of how the credit file system works.

Hi @Northerner 

Thanks for your response, but you've misunderstood my question. However,  the link that you've shared has a contact email address that I'll write to.  Thanks for sharing.

Rodders3536
Explorer

Hey! 
so EE use Experian now for there full credit checks and equifax for soft searches. I would email in credit referrals and get them to look at this because computers do get it wrong. I know for a fact that Barclays and apple are a tight bunch so if you passed with them I have no doubt your pass with ee numerous errors cause this. 

crdecisiondisputes@ee.co.uk  48 hour to hear back but please allow additional time because of the time of year!