cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobilephonespromotion.co.uk

MarcBentley
Visitor

I received a call from Mobilephonespromotion.co.uk stating that they could take over my account and reduce my payments to £7 per month. They said that they were acting on behalf of EE and they are a company owned by Curries.

Follow up email below;

Dear Sir,
               Our company is running a great promotion for the cheaper one contract phones all across the U.K.

We are authorized to take over your current contract from any network and you do not have to pay remaining bills and you will get our cheaper one contract with 6 months insurance without paying any amount with the same number you want to carry on and It's a 12 months contract you can pay every month £7.

The Excellent Tariffs Plan:
  1. Unlimited Calls across any Network any time
  2. Unlimited Text message
  3. Unlimited Internet Data Browsing
  4. 1000 International Minutes

My contract was on a business plan but I have left the company and looking to move this to a personal account.

Is this genuine and has anyone else experienced this?

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@MarcBentley 

The network that curries own is ID mobile so if this is true, you’ll be changing from EE to ID Mobile.  Curries  has nothing to do with EE for a start so they are not acting on behalf of EE through curries. 

This seller is trying to get you to change networks by a sales tactic if it’s not a scam. 

It states that you do not have to pay any remaining bills that’s basically saying that they’re going to pay off your remaining term of your contract.  That could be more than what they’ll charge you for the next 12 months of this new contract.    If it’s not a scam. 

Sounds to good to be true.    Plus the fact the website name is blocked when you try and access it.      Scam scam scam.    

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi @MarcBentley 

My rule is never deal with cold callers. You may get what they promise but I would not be giving any personal info over to a company that just cold call me. 

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. They want your details and then you will likely be signed up for something you didn't want.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MarcBentley,

I agree with @Chris_B and @chistery.

The poorly worded email and lack of a working website sets off alarm bells for me!

James

CloggyAbroad
Explorer

They have now set up a new website (after the previous one was suspended) on https://mobilephonespromotionltd.co.uk/ 

When you go to that website it still shows the old name (without the ltd).

I kept 'Daisy' and 'Ronnie' on the line for about 15 minutes when I was cold called by them just now, just to entertain myself. 

@CloggyAbroad   I find it really odd that they claim, Mobilephonespromotion.co.uk is a trading name of Currys.     Yet Curry’s have their own network and yet all the tariffs I can see on that site are for 3 and there’s a image for o2, Why would Curry promote a different network and not sell for their own network.  

After digging around the “New site”. and getting a lot of other issues I found this.  

IMG_2060.png

why do they need to know your marital status ?      I’ve never had that question when taking out a contract.         

All the devices listed are Samsung or Apple but yet there’s an image of a pixel device.  

IMG_2061.png

IMG_2062.png

Things just don’t add up. 

CloggyAbroad
Explorer

Of course they don't add up. It was clear to me it was a scam the moment I answered the phone. I just like to string them along for 15 minutes or so, just to stop them talking to anyone else. 

I have reported the new website to the NCSC here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/phishing-scams/report-scam-website

With a bit of luck the new website will go the same way as the old one before too long.