cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong lly charged for free phone service by universal credits free number

Marcmcdonald
Contributor
Contributor

A have been charged 40 odd pound for a phone call that I got hung up on a few times nd this isn't right it's extortion a would like the extra charge took of my bill as a was lied to telling me the call was free a would be extremely grateful if u could sort this out for me as u can see I am a valued customer and a wuldnt like to have to use another providea instead of this thanks marc

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm sorry to say, but you have likely been correctly charged by EE for what is probably a scam number.

0843 is a service number - you can read about them here - you will have been charged EE's access charge plus a service charge by the owner of the number.

The contact number for Universal Credit is on https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/contact-universal-credit and is freephone 0800 3285644.

It sounds like you have fallen for one of the Google search scams where a company sets up a "premium rate" or service-charge-based number which they just connect to the underlying 0800 number. The difference between the call charge to the premium number (what you correctly pay your telecoms provider) and the onward call charge to the recipient (nothing) is their "profit" for the exercise.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Marcmcdonald : What number did you call? 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
08434552353 and I had to call the same number up to 4 times as that kept up hanging up on me which isn't fair especially wen u check ur account nd work out the resonance they were hanging up was to charge me 4 times me phone says this is against my consumer rights as an ee customer I have been a loyal customer for a long tym now and I am also upgrading not month so as one of ur loyal customers can u pritty please get this resolved for me I will be forever in ur debt thanks for getting strait bk to me yours sincerely marc Antony mc donald

Sent from my Samsung device

I'm sorry to say, but you have likely been correctly charged by EE for what is probably a scam number.

0843 is a service number - you can read about them here - you will have been charged EE's access charge plus a service charge by the owner of the number.

The contact number for Universal Credit is on https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/contact-universal-credit and is freephone 0800 3285644.

It sounds like you have fallen for one of the Google search scams where a company sets up a "premium rate" or service-charge-based number which they just connect to the underlying 0800 number. The difference between the call charge to the premium number (what you correctly pay your telecoms provider) and the onward call charge to the recipient (nothing) is their "profit" for the exercise.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Marcmcdonald

Thanks for coming to the community. 

As @bristolian has advised, 0843 numbers are chargeable. 

To help you with your account, I've sent you a private message on here for some extra details. 

Speak soon. 

Leanne.

It's was the universal credit that put me on hold and through to that number they said old number had been changed  nd that I had to ring the new one that's why surely I shut be entitled to my money back this is right it was them whow gave me the number 

Leanne_T

Hi @Marcmcdonald

If you can reply to my private message, we will see what we can do to help 🙂

Leanne.

Please try and get me reinbursed for these calls as it was them that put me through to the number with no mention of me being charged for it a mean I had to contact them as if I didn't my benefit would of been stopped a think this is totally unfair the way that I have been treat over this a mean the resin I signed up for unlimited minutes was so that this wud not happen plz try nd do ur best for me I am a long valued customer and I wold hate to have to change me network provider over something that was no fault of your company I think it is a disgrace what they have charged me I only get 100 £ a week nd this bill is half of that which wud mean I wold not even be able to cover my rent please help me am sorry for rabbiting on its just this has really hurt my feelings nd left me very upset as I already suffer from mental health your sincerely Marc mc Donald x

Sent from my Samsung device
Marcmcdonald
Contributor
Contributor

I am fine with you phoning me up for my details that would be fine I can be reached on this phone number any time of the day thank you from Marc mc Donald 

Leanne_T

Hi @Marcmcdonald

If you can send me the details in a private message, I will certainly see what we can do to help 🙂

Leanne.