Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling - Issues Receiving Text Messages

sean8050
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

I work away for much of the year and whilst away do not have normal phone signal, WiFi only. At times I need to access certain accounts (bank, HMRC) etc that require details from a text. With WiFi calling on I seem to not receive texts. Is there a setting I am missing?

21 REPLIES 21

Receiving other texts, think must be an issue with coinbase 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Trev74

Are you aware of anyone else is experiencing this with coinbase?

Katie 🙂

I am technical, but not especially in mobile and EE...

Disclaimer out the way, has anyone tried running a VPN to the UK? might allow messages to be received in other countries?

I use surfshark and I've heard nordvpn is also good (but more expensive)

MrTooley

Loyalandtrue77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue as the OP using an iPhone 10. I work away half of the year and have previously relied on WiFi Call to receive SMS messages for similar things....banking, HMRC etc. Our internet also routes through the Netherlands.

I've tried installing Nord VPN and selecting the UK but still no SMS messages being received. I've now racked up three failed payments for an order as not getting the one time password from my bank. I checked the number they have on record for me and it's up to date.

I've tried re-starting the handset, WiFi Call off and back on, VPN set to UK and nothing works. I first noticed this issue when trying to verify my identity with Paypal and they either didn't arrive or came far too late to use. I always use the take call option now as calls are working fine.

Can anyone suggest anything else ?

Cheers !

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Loyalandtrue77

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Can you receive text messages from other people? 

If you turn off WiFi, can you receive the verification messages? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne. 

@Loyalandtrue77   and if you turn your VPN off how does that work with text messages ?  You need to eliminate the VPN first. 

I've had an SMS arrive immediately from my wife when I asked her to send one Leanne. I said to turn her wiFi off so i'm assuming it was sent that way.

If I turn WiFi off I receive nothing as there is no other connection. I'm relying solely on WiFi. 

I tried with and without a VPN for receiving the SMS from my bank and neither worked Chris. (UK or Netherlands).

With the VPN off i'm receiving SMS messages from my wife. It seems like the issue is possibly at the bank's end, or some other glitch, possibly.

Hi @Loyalandtrue77.

Was the message form your wife a text message or an iMessage?

Have you been able to receive a text message from anyone else?

Jon

Hi Jon, I think it was a text. I asked her to turn off wifi, but I suppose the message may have sent as iMessage using a 4G data connection. I’m going to try the test message again when I return from working away.