Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling - Issues Receiving Text Messages

sean8050
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

I work away for much of the year and whilst away do not have normal phone signal, WiFi only. At times I need to access certain accounts (bank, HMRC) etc that require details from a text. With WiFi calling on I seem to not receive texts. Is there a setting I am missing?

21 REPLIES 21
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@sean8050   You should receive text with WiFi Calling on.  There is no other settings to configure.  When I have any sort of WiFi calling issue the first thing I do is power down and then restart the device.  

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @sean8050.

Welcome to the community.

Is it issues with text messages or iMessages?

Do you receive messages from other contacts?

Jon

Hi Jon,

iMessages are no issues just text messages from my bank.

Thanks

Sean

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks @sean8050.

Are you working abroad or are you in the UK?

Jon

Hi 

im in the North Sea but our WiFi is routed through Holland.

cheers,

sean

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks @sean8050.

Have you been able to receive texts from this contact before without using WiFi?

Have you tried restarting your phone?

Could you try turning WiFi Calling off and on?

Jon

@sean8050 

Others have mentioned this, but SMS over WiFi-calling with EE simply works (unlike a couple of other big-name UK providers), and there's no setting.

However... EE WiFi-calling help confirms what I was suspecting, the service is officially not available abroad. So if you're connected to a Dutch broadband connection, there is - at the very least - a problem.

It may well be that parts of the service (i.e. calls) are working, but there's certainly no support for it.

Hi same problem here in North Sea near Norway. Can’t receive sms codes from coinbase, must be presuming I’m abroad 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Trev74

What network are your connected to?

Are you able to receive other texts OK?

Katie.