cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using S23 Ultra in USA

CJWS92
Explorer

Hi,

I'm working in the USA temporarily and am having an issue with my phone, a Samsung s23 Ultra.

It will connect to data services, allowing me to use apps and things like WhatsApp, but will not allow me to receive or make calls and texts.

I have:

-Enabled a Roaming Pass before I travelled

-Paid for Roaming Data

-Enabled Roaming and VoLTE in settings

-Tried manually selecting a different carrier (At&T, T-Mobile and Verizon)

-Tried turning VoLTE off and selecting all of the carriers just in case (before re-enableing it)

-Tried forcing different combinations of 3g/4g/5g

-Tested every roaming and connection setting I could find in my phone

-Tried logging in to my EE account online to check settings, but it doesn't work abroad from any device (laptop, alternate laptop, phone)

-Ensured software is up to date

-Tried turning it off and on again

Can someone give me any advice? Other forum posts seem to suggest some sort of issue relating to VoLTE/3g turn off, but I can't find anything that suggests a solution to the problem I'm facing and I've exhausted every suggestion I can find or think of.

I'd contact EE directly, but I can't make calls....

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
Legend
Legend

You've been thorough!

@CJWS92 wrote:

Hi,

I'm working in the USA temporarily

-Enabled Roaming and VoLTE in settings

-Tested every roaming and connection setting I could find in my phone

On this point, the only setting for enabling roaming that matters, is the one on your account - for which there's no toggle switch, just the ROAMING text to 150.

Whichever menus on your phone you've found, are likely to refer to "data roaming", which is already evidently working. There's no similar menu for "voice roaming" or "text roaming", but they'd be the equivalent.

Does your phone show VoLTE/4G-calling next to the coverage indicators, at any point?

Hi,

No, non of the VoLTE/4g icons are popping up unfortunately.

I'm completely at a loss!

Thanks,

bristolian
Legend
Legend

If you're not getting VoLTE that will prevent calls over 4G/LTE or 5G/NR.

The solution will either lie in getting that enabled, or forcing your phone to a legacy 2G/3G layer if available.

It would be interesting to see if this issue is location-dependent.