Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS not being received (abroad)-local texts are received, tested iPhone+Android

AB0071
Investigator
Investigator

Hi folks,

I've been troubleshooting with EE Tech support but not finding answers.

I have a roaming bundle for SMS messages installed, but no texts are coming in from EE, or other UK (overseas) folks. 

What is working:

1. Phone calls in/out are working just fine.

2. I *am* getting texts from the EE local network partner (MTN-SA) on behalf of EE, and am getting texts originating from friends here on their local phones.

Have tested my EE Sim on both my iPhone and my wife's Android (she's with 3Network and is receiving texts from UK).

So far EE Tech support is stumped. Any thoughts from the community?  Of course it's a little urgent as I need to get OTPs.

Ideas??

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you on contract or PAYG?

Have you recently ported your number into EE or otherwise changed your plan? 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the reply!

I'm on Contract.

No to porting: have been a member for years now. Have used my phone in UK and Europe - this is the first attempt from further afield.   SMS is *really* important to sort out for me, so any ideas, no matter how far-fetched, are appreciated!

I can confirm that I have the "roam SMS outside EU" option that I'm paying for too.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @AB0071

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Have you tried connecting to any other networks? 

What did our Tech support team advise? 

Leanne 🙂

Hi Leanne - Yes, I attempted to connect to other networks: unfortunately MTN-SA was the only one that connected with EE in my area (there were three others, in total, none of which connected).

The tech support team has offered to investigate further but did not have an answer (and I was running out of phone minutes to talk with them). Hence the ask to the community to see if there is something easy that we missed!

Am stumped. And unable to get OTPs.