cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming problem

sallydoolally
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I have a uk sim but spend a lot of my time in france, where I am at the moment. I have been trying to contact my french bank by phone but the call wont go thru. Just says 'call ended'. I have a dual sim and although the other card is usually switched off, thought I would try on that. (Asda mobile) to see if it was a phone or network problem. It worked fine but I dont have enough credit to use it and I would like to find out why I cant phone a french number on my ee sim. I have a samsung a10. I am pay as you go, and top up once a month with a pack giving me unlimited calls and texts. Data works ok. Texts and calls to uk numbers appear to be working. Phone is set to allow roaming. Dont make too many calls over here so not sure how long this has been happening. Seems to receive calls from french numbers although the bank did say they'd tried me but nothing showed up, but can't say they weren't lying!  I have tried switching flight mode on and off and restarting phone but still same. I have tried turning off auto select, and manually selecting networks but doesnt seem to have made a difference. Any ideas anyone?

17 REPLIES 17
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @sallydoolally,

Can you call other French phone numbers or do you see the same issue as when you call your bank?

James

I've tried other french numbers today and they seem to connect ok. I've been given 3 french numbers over the course of this week. All start 09 but none of them have connected. Have added the 0033 area code

James_B

Hi @sallydoolally,

Is it a normal local number they have shared or premium rate? If it's a premium rate number, you'll need sufficient credit to cover the cost of the call.

James

Hi. It doesnt say it's a premium number. I'm on unlimited calls so it shouldn't be a problem, but I have a little credit if it was needed

James_B

Hi @sallydoolally,

Your inclusive minutes will only include calls to mobiles and standard landline numbers.

If you are able to call other numbers, you may not have enough credit to connect to a chargeable number.

James

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Does the same thing happen on different local networks in France?

Hi James. I have almost 10£ credit in addition to the PAYG package so I would've thought that would be been enough to cover a call. It doesnt ring it just says call ended without connecting

Hi Hmmm not sure. I havent had a need to call anyone else here.

I sometimes have trouble getting through to uk numbers. I might have to try several times to get through, same thing will happen. Says call ended without even connecting. Have tried this French number a dozen times tho

James_B

Hi @sallydoolally,

If you've got £10 credit on your account, that can't be the issue. Have you tried calling another number immediately after trying your bank? If that call connects, we can rule out a local network issue.

James