cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming and using wifi abroad

Angela2024
Visitor

Hi

I am abroad and I do not use my data and won't need to used EE data. I use the wifi where ever I go to access internet.

1. I am believing that this is free of charge - is this correct?

2. I do not take call/make calls on this phone while oaboad.

3. I see there is a small R at the network sign does this meean i am incurring charges?if so please guide me as to how to turn roaming off (as long as it does not affect the usage of the wifi and NFC)

Thank you in advance

Angela

3 REPLIES 3
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Angela2024

Welcome to the EE Community. 

You can switch off data roaming within your phone settings. What phone are you using?

If you do not use your handset for calls, texts or data and only use WiFi you will not be charged. 

Katie

bristolian
Legend
Legend

WiFi is just a connection between a mobile device & wireless router, entirely separate from any mobile network.

You've not mentioned where you're travelling to, but the act of connecting your phone to a foreign network does not itself incur charges. Making or receiving calls, sending text messages and using mobile data, all cost. Charges are available at https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/roaming-costs 

Most phones have a menu option for "data roaming" which enables use of mobile data whilst roaming, text messages are free to receive. Any calls you make or take will incur charges. The "R" is merely an onscreen indicator that you are roaming, by virtue of being connected to a network other than your home.

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Angela2024 

To add to the other posts ensure you are using a VPN over any unfamiliar WiFi networks to protect your security and privacy.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.