cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is 0191 516 1646 an official EE number?

JanosP
Explorer

I just got a call from 0191 516 1646, and they said my EE account has no password set (it has) and they need the one time passcode EE sent to me in SMS just now so they can fix that. 

Well, with that OTP they could have changed my password and hijack my account so I told them to bugger off. 

Be aware of this scam

9 REPLIES 9
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JanosP,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

That's a genuine call from one of our direct partners. Please see What numbers will EE partners call from? for more information.

James

Would EE Support ask for a one time passcode for any reason? 

I don't think so. As that could enable someone to just ask for a password reset for my account, and when I read them the OTP they just set another password and lock me out of my account, buy phones or whatever in my name... 

So it could also be that the caller just spoofed the caller id. 

@JanosP  You’ve done exactly as I would do.  If you call them and then you get the one time passcode while on the phone to them because they have said they are sending one then that’s ok because you’ve called them.  Never give any password to someone who calls you.    

MrJolly_33
Investigator
Investigator

My policy is simple - I do not answer the phone to unknown callers. Far too many telesales and scammers. 
if you’re not in my contacts list then tough.   To get into my contacts list is by word of mouth from a trusted family member or friend then I always say send a text first so I get the number of the caller, without that added layer of security you’re open to all the people who are really after your money. 

Leanne_T

Hi @JanosP 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

You can view numbers our selected partners will call you from to talk to you about additional products and services, in our What numbers will EE partners call from? Help page. 

If the number is not listed that called you, please text CALL followed by the number to 7726 and our security team will get this looked into. 

Leanne. 

Yes scammers will use a fake ID which is identical to a genuine EE partners number.  It’s easy to do with this technology.  That’s another reason why I do not answer the phone to unknown numbers. 

I haven't given my permission to share my personal data with any third party for any reason. The person on the other side of the line had my name and address not mentioning my mobile number. This is a breach of GDPR.

I agree with you. GDPR is there for a good reason, the protection of the citizen, 

Katie_B

Hi @AlexShell

Thanks for coming here. 

Our direct partners can be found HERE

I would recommend giving us a call on 150 so our customer care team can ensure your marketing preferences are set correctly. 

Katie