cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving OTP from Swiss VPN

Fastgaz
Investigator
Investigator

I've been with EE since 2017. I consult for  a Swiss group of companies that require me to use their VPN system. I log into the VPN on my laptop and then receive an OTP code via text on my phone from a Swiss telephone number to complete the log in process. This has worked faultlessly for the last 12 months, until I received a new SIM card from EE last week (same number but changed phone recently and EE advised to get a current SIM as mine was 7 years old). Since inserting the new SIM the Swiss OTP code is now blocked. I get all other OTP's from banks etc. and standard texts from overseas but the text message from the VPN system doesn't get through.. I've called EE twice and they say nothing wrong on EE side. The Swiss tech guys and VPN host confirm after multiple testing that EE is blocking the sender ID.  They have tried all routing options without success (which worked fine before) and can conclude its the network provider issue. This is a big organisation with employees in multiple countries  using their VPN system and I'm the only person it doesn't work for (The only person using EE network). I've explained this in my calls to EE tech and that It can only be an issue linked to my updated SIM, as it worked fine before, but the tech team tell me there is no issue on EE side and speak with VPN provider. If I cant resolve it my only option is to change providers so hopefully its something I can resolve here.

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Replacing a working SIM just because of its age is interesting advice, many users have SIMs older than 7 years and they're still working perfectly well!

Unfortunately no-one on here has access to your specific account and/or routing data, which is what seems to be the cause. You should persist with reporting via CS, although I understand this may need some persistence!

Out of interest, is your number a native OUK/TM/EE one, or is it ported in?

I'm obviously regretting the new SIM. I was having some WIFI calling issues on my new phone  7 days in which is also critical for me as I'm in a rural area with a very poor network signal, so the advisor suggested a current SIM might resolve the issue. As it was, it turned out to be a phone setting, so definitely regret changing as I believe the old SIM was fine. I did ask if I could just insert my old SIM but that wasn't possible once the new one was was activated. My SIM is a native EE one, and not ported, and agree its a routing issue. I believe because its an overseas number sending the OPT coming via VPN its being blocked as a potential scam by the EE system, but why did it work faultlessly before? Maybe updates on the new SIM has a more rigorous screening process! My VPN provider has tried all routing options and all get blocked. CS just end up saying its not their issue but I will keep pushing but unfortunately go through the same loop when I call. 

powerdive
Visitor

I have the same problem... I need to connect to a Swiss system and the OTP messages have suddenly stopped. Difference in my case is that I have not changed my SIM. I am guessing that this is a problem with EE

Fastgaz
Investigator
Investigator

just to close this thread my organisation finally managed a work around, not EE, so there are solutions, however it remains, that EE does block certain OTP messages coming via secure VPN systems from overseas. So if you work for an international company based somewhere else in the world or a foreigner living/working in the UK and still want OTP's from their home location banking systems etc. you are likely to have similar issues as I had.  In fairness our IT organisation said its becoming more problematic for them and EE is not unique in having this issue as more service providers endeavour to beef up security against international scammers.