cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data When Roaming

chrisit
Explorer

Hello,

I am currently roaming  in  Canada, I have an  EE iPhone  SE as  a company issue phone, however, I cannot get mobile data to work.  Yes, Data Roaming is enabled and it shows 3G  for the service provider on full bars.  I can  make calls, but not receive them  and WiFi works fine for data.  I have previously roamed and had data working fine.

I've tried all  of the usual things, such as changing service providers from automatic.  Rebooted my  phone, taken  the  SIM out and performed a Network Setting  reset, so I can't think what  else I can do at my  end..

Having  tried to call EE on  the number that was  sent  to me on the SMS that  I received on arrival in  Canada and the number on the EE  website,  but both  these say my number in  invalid, which could be because  its a  corporate phone...

The error I receive is "PDP authentication failure".

One more thing, the rest  of my group have Vodafone contracts and they are all working fine, so it's not a local Network issue!

What should I do next?

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @chrisit ,

Has your company applied a roaming pass such as the "Travel Data" pass? https://business.ee.co.uk/help/network-and-coverage/roaming/

Different UK networks may be better or worse for international travel and you may review these at https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/using-your-mobile-phone-abroad

A you sure that you have a data allowance for use in Canada and that this allowance is not zero?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@chrisit : Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. over Skype. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi,

With  my job, I'd expect to be travelling to Canada  as well as most of the rest of the world when we are not locked down, so I'd hope we are not restricted...  It's a new contract (well 18months, but we all know about travel during that time).

I would still expect to be able to use data, just be charged for it....  The problem is that I have  no way  of contacting EE, when i go through all of their published numbers it tells me that my EE number is not recognised, which I guess is as it's on a corporate contract...

All in all, pretty shocking that you can't get  through to understand the issue...

Hi,

Sorry that number does not work...  

Chris

Hi @chrisit ,

The "by the book" approach would be to inform a relevant colleague, responsible for managing the EE contract, of the situation and await a resolution, in case you are not able or authorized to make chances to the contract yourself.

Even if you are able and authorized to made changes, it may not be a good use of company time.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

I think a previous poster has hit the nail on the head here. 

So your roaming is working hence you being able to pick up a network.

EE are set up to not allow customers to run up massive data roaming bills and instead don't allow data to be used abroad without an add on. This will explain why your data is coming up as 3G and isn't working.

You need your company contact to add the business equivalent of Roam Further to allow you to access the data services. 

If your phone is working by the way then you should be able to call customer service from your phone (but again, might need to be your company who sort it).