cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping UK mobile number while living abroad

RachT2024
Explorer

Hello, 
I'm currently living (temporarily for studies) in France, I have been using my EE contract with a travel add-on for the last couple of months but I'm in need of a French number.

I would like to keep my UK number, but don't want to continue paying so much as my contract plus the add-on prices are now over my budget of what I can afford to spend on my phone. I have finished my contract so I am able to stop that - is it possible to go from a contract to a pay-as-you-go SIM? Can I use my existing SIM or will I need a new one?
I have read some other posts on the Community and see mentions that a PAYG SIM needs to be used in the UK for it's first use (is this information correct??), I won't be able to use it in the UK as I am not there and cannot get back to the UK for a number of months. Will I be able to use it in France just to start it and use once in a while to keep the PAYG number for the time I am abroad?

As I don't have access to an EE store here, is it possible to arrange all of this online or over the phone? 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@RachT2024 : Yes, you may cancel your contract with 30-days notice & ask for it to be moved to PAYG. Your existing SIM will become a PAYG plan.

However, you won't be able to use it abroad until you return to UK. EE PAYG SIMs need 1st activating on EE's home UK network.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

@RachT2024 wrote:

Will I be able to use it in France just to start it and use once in a while to keep the PAYG number for the time I am abroad?

You have read correctly re first activation in the UK, and there is no exemption for "just to start it" - the restriction prevents any use. Allowing one use abroad then prevention, would be to work around the technical restriction that prevents first use abroad.

Your only option would be to post your SIM to a trusted friend or relative in-time for the changeover. Once the pay-monthly contract has stopped and the SIM becomes a "new PAYG" one, get them to use it on EE's UK network to activate and enable roaming, and then post it back to you abroad.

Thank you for your help - I'm glad to hear I can use the same SIM 🙂

Okay, thank you for sharing this information 🙂

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)