cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Calls disconnect after 1 ring

smithgill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, every time somebody phones me, if I can't answer it in one ring, the call is dropped. I emailed motorola, and they sent instructions on how to change the number of rings on my voicemail. I have a sim only account, and I don't know if I have voicemail. Do I have voicemail included in my sim only account? Please let me know when you get a chance. Thank you very much for your help. 

13 REPLIES 13
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @smithgill.

Does this happen with every call?

Can you press and hold the number one key on your phone to dial voicemail and see if it connects?

Jon

smithgill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jon, 

Yes! I held down the number 1 and for the 1st time, I dialled voicemail. Now I can follow the instructions Motorola sent me to increase the number of rings before it goes to voicemail. I've never set it up; my husband and I are on the same account, and neither of us knew we had voicemail. My husband tried to phone my number when we were out today, and it rang once. The call was disconnected again. Thank you very much for your reply. Yours sincerely, Mary

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

No problem, @smithgill 🙂

Glad you're all sorted.

Jon

Hi Jon, unfortunately using motorola's instructions did not help because the instructions assume I've set up call forwarding. I have not ever used my voicemail. What I did do, which I found on EE's website, is text VM OFF to hopefully turn off voicemail. Maybe if voicemail is turned off, my phone will ring when I get incoming calls again. I don't know what happened because I've had this phone since February, and this problem began a week ago, approximately. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @smithgill,

What happened when you followed Motorola's instructions? Did you see a particular error message?

James

Hi James, When I followed Motorola’s instruction, I received two messages. When I dial *#61* I received an MMI code started message, then a box with the following message:

Call forwarding

Voice: not forwarded

Data: not forwarded

Fax: not forwarded

SMS: not forwarded

Sync: not forwarded

Async: not forwarded

Packet: not forwarded

PAD: not forwarded, with OK at the bottom right of the box.

What follows this blue text is the instructions from Motorola: Since I’ve never set up call forwarding, it doesn’t surprise me that it didn’t work. But I followed the instructions, using +447953222222, which I found in voicemail (EE), advanced settings, setup.  To extend your ring time, you’ll need to make a note of and then dial a code involving your forwarding number.
  Dial *#61#.
  It will display the number the calls are forwarded to and the current ring time. Write down the forwarding number. For example:
  Three UK forwarding number = +447782333123
  Dial **61*XXX*11*30# (where XXX is the number displayed previously and 30 is the new ring time – you can pick 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30).
  NOTE: Hold down the 0 button on the dial to get the "+" symbol.
  So in the above example. If using a Three UK SIM and you wanted to extend the ring time to 30 seconds you would dial
  **61*+447782333123*11*30#
**61*+447953222222*11*30#
  This will send a request to the network to change the ring time and you should see a "registration was successful" message. You can then dial *#61# to check the new settings were successfully saved.
  If you are running into any problems extending the ring time then refer to your network's support website or contact them directly for further assistance.
If you have any ideas which would make this smartphone ring at least 6 times when receiving calls, please let me know when you get a chance. Thank you very much for your help.

Yours sincerely, xxxx xxxxx-xxxxxxx

[mod edit: please do not post personal information on the public board. Thanks!]

You can't change the number of rings before an incoming call is rejected, but you should be able to tweak the number of seconds.

Try cancelling all diverts using ##21#[call]

Amend the time delay on incoming calls using *61*[07953222222]*11*[sec]# where [sec] is a 5second increment between 5-30 seconds.

Hi, I've just tried both of these, and I get the same message from both: "Call forwarding connection problem or invalid MMI code

[MMI code started]". 

Do you have any idea what MMI is, and why it's automatically starting?

Today my husband called my phone to see if anything had changed after I tried the solution somebody sent to me yesterday, which was changing the number of times the phone would ring. One good thing came out of that: my phone now rings at least 6 times if I am holding the phone and using it. If the phone's lock screen is on, incoming calls ring once and hang up. I don't have any chance to answer it. 

Thank you for your help. I am grateful for any ideas that could fix this. Thanks again. 

@smithgill wrote:

One good thing came out of that: my phone now rings at least 6 times if I am holding the phone and using it.

That sounds broadly in line with a 25-30second ringtime, which is what one of the GSM-codes you were given, should do - and is also the maximum supported on EE's network.

If you're getting less ringtime when your phone is in a lock-screen, this would suggest a "Do Not Disturb" mode or similar, is active on your phone and that's causing the shorter ringtime.

What device are you using - you've mentioned a Motorola, but does that mean it's running Android OS?

With reference to MMI, it's just a technical term for the network interaction that the codes are using.