cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Going abroad and want to use your device for calls, texts and data? Read on for everything you need to know.

How do I set up roaming?

If you're a pay as you go customer and have used the SIM card on the EE network before travelling, roaming is already active and ready to use.

If you have a new pay as you go SIM card you will need to activate the SIM on the EE network by making a call or sending a text before travelling abroad.

If you're a pay monthly customer on any plan, you will need to check roaming is set up before you travel.

There are a few ways to check if you have roaming set up, and some steps to help you if you don't.

• Text ROAMING to 150 – you'll receive a text with details about your roaming status and how to activate roaming if needed.

• Call Customer Services and choose options 1, 2 and 4 - the automated system will let you know if roaming is active and help you set it up if it's not.

• In your My EE account online go to Menu > Account Settings > Parental and Data Controls > Enable Roaming and also Make calls abroad from the UK > They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated.

It can take up to 24 hours to become active on your account, so it's important to set it up before you travel.

Roaming is subject to your credit status and a deposit may be required.

Can I use my minutes, texts and data when abroad?

If you are travelling to the EU, please see our Changes for EE customers roaming in the EU, support article.

If you are travelling to a country not in the EU, you can find costs and add-ons in our EE Roaming Help page.

Can I use my voicemail abroad?

If you wish to access your voicemail messages when roaming here are some great tips: 

• If you would prefer not to receive voicemails when abroad text VM OFF to 150 before you travel.

• Once you're back in the UK simply text VM ON to 150.

Please see our Roaming Costs, Help page for voicemail charges when you are abroad.

How long can I use my phone abroad for?

EE plans are intended for customers with a stable link to the UK who travel abroad periodically.

They are not intended for customers roaming on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.

We will consider you have a stable link to the UK if, during any four-month period you;

• Spend a total of two months or more within the UK.
  • Or, if you mainly use your inclusive voice, text or data usage allowances in the UK, rather than while you're roaming.

Full information on stable links can be found in the terms and conditions below:

If you have any other questions tap 'Reply' below.

15 REPLIES 15
land-537
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the article, I think this sums up all the help I have had and it looks like I'm ready to go

Everyone who replied has helped me along the way, I am very grateful to you all

Christopher_G

That's great, thanks for posting, @land-537

Chris

Sarah2621
Visitor

Hello... I have set up data roaming as I am travelling abroad. Do I need to enable my data roaming in settings? 

@Sarah2621 : If you want to use data while abroad you need both Roaming activated in your MyEE settings & Data Roaming ON in your device's settings.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Ubx
Visitor

I did not activate roaming in the UK before I travelled, and when I want to activate it now while abroad using the steps provided by EE, it shows Blocked, also SMS to 150 does not deliver. How do I get it activated? 

I am concerned because my phone shows no service so I cant even receive OTP to complete financial transactions.

I am a pay monthly customer.

@Ubx : If you can't enable the Roaming Abroad and the Call Abroad & Premium Rate settings of your online MyEE, you will need to call CS. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. via Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Useful, but to be complete, please add details on how to disable roaming. Specifically, to disable Voice and SMS to avoid excessive costs.

It's easy to find how to switch off "Data Roaming", that's in the phone's own settings. But how to disable Voice and SMS, there is no guide on ee.

(Some people suggest using flight mode, but that means WiFi is not possible. So flight mode is not viable).

It's probably worth mentioning disableing voicemail too.

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have the same scenario.

From being burned with costs in the long distant past, my worry is that roaming is on by default and my goal is to be absolutely sure to completely disable voice, text and data roaming in Turkey before departing the UK.

The intention is to only use WiFi.  There is no STOPROAMING text command. And on the phone itself, there is only a "Data roaming" option and nothing about voice and SMS.

How do I make absolutely sure that the phone does not connect to a Turkish mobile network (without using flight mode)?

I've been told I also need to disable voicemail.

Leanne_T

Hi @MmmToast

If you log into your My EE account online go to Menu > Account Settings > Parental and Data Controls > Enable Roaming and also Make calls abroad from the UK, and disable both options, you will not have signal to make and receive calls or texts. You can still connect to WiFi with these settings disabled.

You can turn off voicemail by texting VM OFF to 150. 

Leanne.