cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE European Roaming - Help Please

watson_Oz
Investigator
Investigator

Have a prepaid EE SIM and has UK 10 pound pack credited, added 15 pound credit for international roaming throughout European countries.  Texted ROAMING to 150 to initiate and made some calls back to Oz.  No calls connected in Croatia and no data allowance enabled.  The 15 pound credit was used up after 3-calls, I was under the impression paying 15 pounds for the roaming feature enable you to draw down on the pre-paid pack minutes, text and data allowance.  Can someone please advise if this is correct or how I can ensure calling and data access works throughout Europe.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@watson_Oz :

1. Texting ROAMING to 150 is not applicable to PAYG, which is auto enabled to roam in EU.
  2. The £15 roaming pass is also not applicable to PAYG. The £15 was used as ordinary credit & used to pay for your calls to Oz.
  3. You should be able to use your pack allowances in the EU.
  4. What does texting AL to 150 from your no. fully report verbatim (it is free)?
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
watson_Oz
Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX 

Thank you for your prompt response and info.  I find the EE information regarding EU roaming to be very vague based on what I researched and your comments.  The website states the purchase of a £15 roaming pass is to negate the daily charge £2.29 daily charge and that you do need to text ROAMING to 150.  It was very difficult to find information relating to pay-as-you-go in respect of EU roaming to support calls/text/data.  I think that when the current funds expire I will be looking at alternative pre-paid carrier for the remainder of the trip, $1.20/min is way too expensive.  In addition the fact that there is no data allowance is ridiculous.  Once again thank you for your quick response to my query, much appreciated.  (By the way it's a family member that has the pre-paid SIM atm so will need to wait until I can contact them over free-WiFi in respect of AL to 150.)

EERoamCroatia.jpg

@watson_Oz wrote:

The website states the purchase of a £15 roaming pass is to negate the daily charge £2.29 daily charge and that you do need to text ROAMING to 150.

1. That PAYG page has no mention of any £15 roaming pass or the £2.29 daily charge cuz they only apply to contract.
  2. That "Get Ready to Roam" section is in error when displayed for PAYG. The point you highlighted should not be there for PAYG.
  3. What happens when you  texted ROAMING to 150 on PAYG? It should've responded along the lines of "Not Recognised. Here are the valid commands ...".

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX 

Well how was I (or anyone) to know that its an error for PAYG when its displayed on the EE webpage??? As I mentioned very misleading information!

As also mentioned I don't have the phone/SIM atm it is with a family member in Croatia and as I purchased the pre-paid contract (when in the UK) and its registered to me I am trying to sort things out so they can use/access calls/text/data.  As you can appreciate with time difference (Croatia to Australia) and the fact that they can only contact me via free WiFi (WhatsApp) or burn through the additional £35.00 I added for emergency, I can't answer your queries atm. 

I appreciate your assistance but I don't think there is anything that an be done to provide the services without a large cost and especially as no data is included in service costs.  As they say read the fine print eh?  (Or EE could just be more transparent and detail what is/is not available for pre-pay.) Thanks.

Data add-ons are offered to the SIM user on arriving in country. Your OP spoke as if it were you but now I realise it isn't.

@XRaySpeX 

I originally purchased the EE pre-paid SIM in the UK in April for short 2-week visit and only required it the be used within UK so £10.00 pre-paid PAYG was ideal.  Family members traveled to UK in May and again stayed within UK for entire stay and returned to Oz.  Second family member has traveled to Croatia before arriving in UK early next month so needed EU roaming provisioned and as such I attempted (poorly) to set up.  Once in the UK there will be no issue however they intend to travel throughout several EU countries later next month e.g. Netherlands, Austria, Italy etc. and obviously need cost effective way of making and receiving voice calls and text messages.  I don't believe the EE offering can provide this unfortunately.

Furthermore roaming charges are introduced for PAYG from 6th June: either £2.50 / day or £10 / week.