cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes for EE customers roaming in the EU

James_B
EE Community Support Team

From March 2022, EE will charge a new, flat fee of £2 a day for customers wishing to roam across 47 European destinations, allowing them to use their plan’s full data, minutes and texts allowance. This will apply only to new and upgrading customers signing up to EE from the 7th July 2021 and will support investment into our UK based customer service and leading UK network.

EU roaming changes FAQ

What changes are you making to roaming costs?

From March 2022, EE will charge a new flat fee of £2 a day for customers who roam across 47 European destinations, allowing them to use their plan’s full data, minutes and texts allowance.

When will the changes take effect?

Details of this change will be contained within contracts for new and upgrading customers from July 7th 2021, but will only be applied from March next year.

Why have you zero-rated these charges until March?

With ongoing and understandable uncertainty around international travel, we don’t think now’s the right time to give travellers something more to think about. These charges will be part of the terms for new and upgrading customers, but we won’t apply them until March 2022.

I agreed to my current plan to get free roaming, how will the changes affect me?

You'll continue to get inclusive roaming in the EU. This change will be in contracts for new and upgrading customers from July 7th 2021, but will only be applied from March next year.

How does this affect the Roam Further five extra countries Smart Benefit? Does having this benefit now also give free EU roaming?

From March 2022, 47 European destinations will be included in our Roam Further Smart Benefit.

Does this change apply to PAYG too?

From early 2022 allowances will be for use within the UK only. If you have a PAYG pack you will be able to purchase an add-on which will allow you to access your Pack allowance for a £2 daily charge when roaming in our Europe Zone (zones 1, 1a, 2a & 2b).

If you have no Pack or bundle, or your allowance has run out, you will be charged the international rate for calls within our Europe Zone as set out in the Pay as you go price guide at the time.

Which countries will be affected?

The full list of countries affected by the EU roaming charges from March 2022 is: Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (excludes northern Cyprus), Czech Republic, Canary Islands, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Saint Martin (French), Saint Barthélemy, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City (Italy).

I am travelling to Republic of Ireland or live near the border. Will I have to pay £2 a day if I connect to the ROI network?

Customers using their phone in Republic of Ireland are unaffected and won't have to pay the £2 charge.

60 REPLIES 60

Hi @Dave2435 ,

That arrangement seems to support the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement and shows the sensitivity of a company to regional issues, and on the whole helps to maintain goodwill and peace between the two peoples involved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_Agreement

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

I totally understand the reasons regarding the Good Friday Agreement which I totally support in keeping the peace. 

That still does not answer why the Channel Isles and Isle of Man are included in the EU decision when they have NEVER been in the EU. 

How does this decision affect those of us who have an international package to make calls to the Channel Isles. Does that mean with the package the roaming charge is included when ringing the UK from the Islands?

James_B

Hi @Dave2435,

Which international package do you have?

James

@Dave2435 : 

1. The decision to include the C.I. & IOM in the EU area is to your advantage. Otherwise roaming rates there would be the more expensive non-EU rates.
  2. The International package to make calls to the Channel Isles from the UK are the complete opposite of roaming charges when ringing the UK from the Islands. 1 has nowt to do with the other.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
CharlesRS
Visitor

So to be clear, for contracts taken out BEFORE 7th July 2021 there will be no charges for UK customers roaming/using data in the EU? Please confirm. thanks

Katie_B

Good Evening @CharlesRS

Welcome to the EE Community. 

If you're on a pay monthly plan and your contract started before 7 July 2021, the roaming changes will not affect you.

Katie 🙂

Could someone please explain how I have free calls to the EU but get charged for calling the Republic of ireland. Last time i looked ireland was still part of the EU!! 

When you say  "If you're on a pay monthly plan and your contract started before 7 July 2021, the roaming changes will not affect you." 

Does that mean when my contract ends in September 22 and I renew, would it be classed as a new contact and then I will have to pay the roaming charges. 

OR

Is a renewal classed as a continuation of the original contract.

@Nigoil : You only have free calls to the EU, incl. the ROI, from within the EU. You don't have free calls to the EU, incl. the ROI, from the UK. Is that what you are talking about? You are paying for calls from the UK to ROI? As indeed you would be for calling any other country from the UK. You're not roaming when you make calls from the UK.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Dave2435 : What do you mean by "renewal"? These mobile contracts don't just end, just the min. term expires. They are not fixed term contracts. After the min. term they just carry on at the same price on a rolling 30-days' notice basis until you explicitly cancel or upgrade.

You don't renew them as such. You either:

• leave them alone to roll on. In which case you're on the same contract & your roaming charges are unchanged.
  • upgrade your contract. In which case you're on a new contract & you have to pay the new roaming charges.