cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't text a 5-digit number

Maddymiff1
Investigator
Investigator

This is my last hope for trying to solve this problem. I am trying to send a message to 97886 (to renew my broadband) the text won't send. I get the response "Trouble sending, check options." I have already spoken to EE and the advisor I spoke to said there are no restrictions on my account. I am able to send messages to 5-digit competition numbers. I am stuck as the offer for my broadband is available through reply to the text only. I tried to renew over the phone earlier and the offer isn't available via any other means (silly, I know). Either way, does anyone know why I can't send the message? I have cleared my message cache and restarted numerous times.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you on contract or PAYG?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I'm on a contract.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

If texts won't send to a specific number, it normally indicates an issue with that number. I would recommend saving a screenshot of that text message, and (if possible) a video of you not being able to send to it.

When you say "renew" your broadband, was this a specific promotional discount being offered? I ask because these service contracts are rolling ones with a minimum term, they don't need "renewing" unless there's a promotion or similar offer involved,

It's a discounted deal via text. My contract finishes on the 10th and will be £6 a month more if I can't get the text through. The more expensive one was all they could offer me earlier when I spoke to them. No idea why all offers aren't available through all channels. Regardless, I want the issue solved even without the renewing issue as it may happen for other 5-digit numbers in the future.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Maddymiff1 

Welcome to the community.

Is your broadband with EE or another provider? If you're trying to text it from an EE number, I can only suggest continuing to discuss this with our technical support team.

Chris

Thanks. I think I am going to have to pop in to my local EE store at the weekend so I can show them and get it sorted in person. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I think you'll find that 97886 is a shortcode belonging to your BB provider & is meant to be texted from phone on their plan. Texting it from an EE phone just won't work.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)